How To Make A Black Walnut Table | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a black walnut table for your personal use at your home? Great! It’s always good to have a big table for family dinners or even you can place few things on it as well. But are you going to buy it from the market? Do you know it will cost you more time and money? So why don’t you make one by yourself?
It’s not so easy to buy a walnut table of your favorite color and size. Especially, finding a black walnut table is not an easy task. You may will find the product in different designs but you would hardly find a product which actually matches with your mind. To avoid hassle, why don’t you try making one by yourself? Yes, now you can make one by your own self. It will save your time and will cost you less money even.
Are you still thinking that how you are going to make it by yourself? You don’t need to worry about, just follow this step by step demonstrative tutorial and you will end up making up a black walnut table.
For this, you need to have an intermediate level of knowledge about operating drill machine, woodcutter, miter saw and hand saw.
Let’s get started! What you are waiting for!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different size and width
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Hand saw
- Abrasive saw
- Alligator shear
- Drill with driver bits
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Wood cutter
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
- Polish and rugs
You can easily find the material required to your nearest hardware store. As the material is very generic in nature you can search online as well for good rates and can buy it from there. The suggestion is to go for the most trusted seller for such items as if you want to give long lasting impact to the goods you make you have to go with the most trusted material supplier.
Step 1: Arrange, Mark, and Cut the Lumber
Take few lumber boards and measure the sides and length of the lumber and cut it after properly measuring it.
Now smoothen the sides of the lumber which you cut earlier after measuring and make sure that you will work on the sides of the lumber properly.
Rub the upper side of the lumber with electric rubbing machine and make sure that finishing is properly done.
After joining two lumbers of same length and size make door holes on the corners of the table so that it will intact the sides properly in future.
Make sure that the both the lumbers intact properly with each other with the help of metal balancer tool.
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw
- Do important table saw safety measures
- Use a work bench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting
- Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing.
Step 2: Fix the Lumbers to Make the Base of Table
Insert small wooden pieces in the holes and then fix it with the help of hammer in other lumber pieces.
Technically you would have 3 lumber pieces closely attached with each other with help of wooden pieces inserted them.
Give it a support with metal support tools so that all the pieces of lumber got intact with each other properly.
Cut the bigger pieces of lumber into two. So that you can make it smaller pieces out of it.
Cut the lumber into smaller pieces and make its sides smoother for further processes.
Use table sander to balance the sides of the lumber.
Make lumber through to the electric sander to smother the upper sides of the lumber, like this:
Now you would have a pile of small wooden pieces which will be used in next steps.
Now use wood glue to join two lumbers together.
Now join the two lumber of same length and width with each other.
Now place them under the heavy machine so that they get intact properly.
Leave it for some time, meanwhile you can complete some other tasks!
Rub the upper side of the table base with hand sander so that there isn’t any flaw left in it!
After rubbing and balancing the upper portion of the table it with hand sander it will look like this:
Cut the sides with the table saw so that all the sides will become balanced, like this:
Now work on the upper side of the table and try to balance the upper side by using the machine sander.
Make sure that you have strong grip on the machine. Start with one corner and go till the next corner.
- While cutting, support the sides with extra lumber pieces in order to sander the base properly
- Using of sharp bladed miter saw can affect your angle so hold it with firm grip
- Measure well before cutting any timber
- Try to use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger
- While using the machines
- Keep the safety of the hands on priority, use wooden helping hammer for cutting the small wedges rather than doing it with the hands
- Use sander properly and patiently and don’t lose your focus while balancing the lumber with sander.
Step 3: Make Middle Frame of the Table
Dig the lumber to make place for a wooden piece like this:
Balance the sides with sander and place that small lumber piece on that part of the table which you dug earlier.
To fix it use hammer so that it will pushed inside properly.
Repeat the same thing on the other side and fix the lumber in that side too, like this:
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Take one medium size lumber and make holes on its sides by using a machine.
Now cut the extra parts of the lumber, like this:
By using machine, make the pointed corners of the sides of the lumber pieces, like this:
Now cute the extra parts of the lumber which will used as a leg of table with the help of table saw,with sharp edge blade.
Make sure that it’s been hold firmly with some metal jig or any supportive material.
Cut the lumber from the corners and make small lining cuts with the help of table saw, like this:
Now pull it out from your hand and make sure that it will fix in the other part of the lumber.
Make sure that you do the same on another lumber piece and sander the holes so that it will get fixed easily.
- Fix extra wedges on the base to make the grip of the legs with table more firm and stronger
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Try to cut extra wedges so that u will not have to put extra effort of cutting it again
- Before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws
- If you find any flaw fix them
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of table and its legs and then fix the legs
- After fixing the legs, let the glue dry
- Never rely on electronic tool all the time as hand cutter can give you best finishes as well
- Use protective gloves so that u would not harm yourself.
Step 4: Fix the Middle Frame Bars and Sander
Now fix these lumbers on the upper side of the table like this:
Make sure that the distance between both lumbers are equal.
Now balance the sides again with the help of hand sander, like this:
Make sure that you will work on every side of the lumber to make it smooth and balanced.
Use wooden glue in the holes in order to fix it inside the other part of the table.
After gluing fix the sides in each other and make sure that they are well intact with each other.
Use hammer to fix the sides properly, like this:
Measure the sides with the carpenters square, like this:
Fix the lumbers in each other with the help of hammer and make the middle Skelton of your table also looks like this:
Use hand sander again in order to balance the table.
- Before cutting the wood with machine hold it firmly
- Use carpenters square to measure the sides of the legs
- Smoothen the sides of black walnut table
- Rub the sides of the base with the machine rubber it will give good finished look
- Rub the sides of the legs of the walnut table to make them smooth
- To avoid the problems, use a drafting square scale as carpenter squares and try to measure the balance of the sides and don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of black walnut table
- For designing use pencil and scale for proper alignment
- Mark it the sides for cutting properly
- Make sure that the tools you are using are sharp enough and have new blades installed in it.
Step 5: Check the Balance and Fix the Frame on the Table
Check the balance of the table with the measuring scale.
Use duster to clean the dust from the table, like this:
Use electric sander to balance the sides of the table.
Glue and fix the base bar of the table and try to fix it properly by using hammer.
Repeat the same thing on the other side of the table too!
Fix the side wooden jigs of the table with the hammer to support the base bars.
Use hand sander to rub on the table, like this:
- Use a good quality bleach or cleaner to remove stains from the wood
- Do not place the walnut table in direct contact with a fireplace
- For drying purposes, try to place the black walnut table in some place where it gets some air
- Do not kill the look of the walnut table by painting artificial colors on it
- If you feel like that there is a room for improvement is left don’t hesitate to do that
- Before ending up your project try to test the reliability of the product in any testing facility.
Step 6: Finishing and Polishing the Table
Start polishing the table, and use dark color polish for good results.
After Polishing, top of the table will look like this
Make sure that you will work on all the sides of table in order to give it a presentable look!
After polishing, fix the base of the table on the lower side of the table, like this:
Use a clean rug on the table to make it more shine and clear the flaws right away!
- Polish the walnut table firmly
- Do not leave any lag behind and try to cover all the sides of the walnut table
- Fix the bottom bars of the table after polishing the upper side.Make sure that u glue the base properly and firmly
- Try to clear the mess along with your work so that you would find your workshop more work friendly.
- The longer you let the stain be on the table, the better color it gives
- Use a good quality polyurethane finish material for long lasting protection of your walnut table
- After finishing use a clean rug so that it will shine and look elegant
- Don’t use the table until its polish dries properly
- Use safety gloves while polishing the walnut table.
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a black walnut table 2.0