How To Build Designer Furniture From Timber | DIY Project
Are you planning to spend your money on the furniture? Are you thinking to buy some designer furniture to fill the empty space in your house? That’s great! It is always good to fill the home with the most elegant and beautiful furniture. But wait! Are you going to buy it from the market? That doesn’t seem to be a good idea. Why don’t you make one by yourself?
Buying the designer furniture for your home decoration will cost you more money and time as compare to making one by your own self. As you don’t know the design, shape, and size of the furniture which you will buy from the market. You would have to rely on the shopkeeper/sellers choice.
Why don’t you make one by yourself? In fact, why don’t you make use of $100 worth timber and make a designer furniture out of it? Isn’t it a great idea? As you don’t know how much money you are going to spend while buying it from the market. So why don’t you make one by your own self?
Are you thinking that it’s hard to make one yourself? You just don’t need to worry as this step by step demonstration will help you making a designer furniture by your own self in cost-effective and time-saving manner.
For this, you need to have an intermediate level of knowledge of how to operate woodcutter, miter saw, table saw and table router.
So don’t worry as we are with this step by step demonstration let’s do it together!
What are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different sizes
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Hand saw
- Table router
- Wooden nails
- Chisel rod
- Machine sander
- Machine cutter
- Wood level
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Inch TapePencil/Pen for marking
- Finishing Oil wax and rugs.
You can easily find the above-mentioned material from your nearest hardware store. Few things of the material are a bit hard to find but you can ask your shopkeeper to arrange it for you and he will arrange it as it is not that difficult to find. Just make sure that the material you are buying is from the reliable shop and make sure all the things are with you before starting the project.
Step by Step Instructions
After buying all the necessary material required for this project you are ready to start the project of designing furniture. Follow this step by step procedure to make an elegant and long lasting $100 worth of designer furniture.
Step 1: Measuring and Cutting Lumber
Take different pieces of lumber and sander the top sides of the lumber with a hand sander.
Now use wood level to see the level of the timber and if it’s good then move to next step
Now place four pieces of lumber with along with each other and make sure that you glue them all.
Glue all the four pieces of the lumber and attached one after another, like this:
Clamp them for proper grip and let the glue dry and let all four pieces get attached to each other.
Now the edges of each lumber piece so that it will get mixed with each other and give a look of one broad piece of timber.
After rubbing the top do sander the sides of the board lumber piece as well.
Take small pieces of lumber and sander them with a hand sander, like this:
While doing this make sure that you sander the edges and the sides of the lumber pieces as well and keep on checking the level of the lumber piece by wood level.
Now start cutting the lumber pieces with saw from the marked points, like this:
Make sure that you cut the lumber straight on the marked points.
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Use table saw and table router carefully to ensure safety
- Use gloves to prevent atopic dermatitis
- Measure well before cutting the lumber
- Use a workbench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood
- Use small teeth blade on the table saw to achieve a much smoother edge
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing
- While spreading the glue on the lumber make sure you touch every corner of the lumber for proper fixing
- Use a hand sander to balance the top sides of the lumber and make sure that they are balanced when you are done
- Use the lumber as per the size of the table saw and do use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger.
Step 2: Cut the Lumber for Legs and Glue Them
Now rub the small wooden pieces with the hand saw to balance the shape of the wooden piece which would use as the legs of the designer furniture.
And if the size of the lumber piece is big steep it by cutting it and then check it by carpenters gauge.
Now mark the timber again in order to the smaller pieces.
Cut the extra pointed parts of the lumber with hand saw and mark the designs with chisel rod.
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Make sure that you smoothen the sides of the lumber with a sander.
Place the bigger lumber pieces with the smaller lumber pieces, like this:
It will look like this.
Now use glue to join them permanently and make sure you use clamps to hold the lumber with each other.
Now measure the lumber again in order to cut the other parts of designer furniture.
Use chisel rod to make the gaps and make sure that it will look like this
While making gaps do use a metal scale so that measurement doesn’t go wrong.
- Use miter saw and try to cut as close as you can for better results
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw.Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind
- Use scale measure to get the right measurement
- Glue every corner of the box so that it will get attached to it in a proper manner
- Use sander properly and make sure that all the sides of each portion are balanced and equally trimmed
- Use clamps as they will help you hold the base of the designer furniture and you will end up cutting the right part.
Step 3: Making the Gaps for Legs to Get Fixed
Make the gaps properly so that other pieces of lumber get fixed in it easily. Do measure the depth of the gap as it should have to be proper. After making a gap it would look like this.
Repeat the same thing on the side of the board as well and make sure that other smaller lumber piece would get fixed properly in the gap. Use a hammer to fix the lumber in the gap, like this:
Use chisel rod to make the edge on the smaller wood pieces, like this:
- Make a small sample prototype to match the direction of your project
- Use electric drill machine to cut the timber for screw fixing
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood
- Use pencil for and cleaner measurement
- You can use a steel rod with metal scale as well for clear measurement
- Use a wood level to see the level of the timber
- If you find any flaw fix them on the spot
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of bench and chair and then fix the legs
- After fixing the base, Let the glue dry
- While drying the glue use clamps to hold the lumber together and make sure you have placed the lumber equally before clamping them tightly.
Step 4: Cutting the Extra Wooden Parts and Attaching the Legs
Cut the extra parts from the corners of the wood by using a hand saw.
After cutting the extra sides of the lumber it will look like this.
Repeat the same thing on the other parts as well and do try to fix it before fixing it permanently.
In order to fix these smaller lumber pieces permanently use glue on the base of the board.
Now fix the small wooden pieces on the gaps and glue them and use a hammer to fix them properly.
While fixing, do make sure two sides of the same boards are long which would use as legs of the designer furniture and fix them properly so that the base of the furniture would become stronger.
After fixing the lumber pieces on the both sides make sure that you hold them with the clamps until the glue dries.
Hmm..! Seems like you are close to an end and it looks like that you are left with only a few small steps.
Insert the small thin wood pieces on the places where you see the gaps as these gaps would not give finished look to furniture so fill them up after dipping them in the glue.
Use a hammer to fix the thin pieces of wood into the gaps.
After filling the gaps cut the pointed parts of the wood with a hand saw and make sure that you cut it so thin that it got mixed with the base of the furniture board.
You can use hand sander as well to balance the top side of the furniture.
- Use safety gloves to ensure safety
- Use an arc square for more accurate marking
- Smoothen the sides of the sideboard properly and rub the corners with hand sander
- Before filling the glue in the back side of the lumber do try to fix the lumber on one another side and if you find any flaw try to fix it
- Measure the sides of the legs and the frame properly and make sure that bottom of the designer furniture is fixed well.
- Make sure that the wooden thin pieces you are hammering should be at the same distance and don’t look prominent above the sideboard.
- Use a hammer to fix the lumber and cut the lumber if any side is bigger than the required size.
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of the table.
- Use glue to fix the thin wooden pieces so that it will join the furniture properly.
Step 5: Finishing and Polishing
Now start polishing the designer furniture and make sure that you are not left with any place.
While polishing make sure that you are not left with any place and do not kill the look of the furniture by using dark colors of the polish, use light colors of polish so that the real look of the furniture will remain and it will look real.
- Do use safety gloves and mask to ensure the safety
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base.Use an electric sander to clean all the parts of the designer furniture and make sure that you are not left with any side.
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood.
- Before fixing the other part, let the glue dry on the first part.
- Polish the base and the legs properly.
- Use hand gloves while polishing the sideboard.
- Use face mask if you are allergic to the smell of polish/paint.
- Let the polish dry and don’t dry the sideboard under the sunlight.
- While the polish is drying, place the sideboard in some safe shed, away from children and pet animals.
- Before making the proper use of the designer furniture do test it in some testing facility.
Here I would like to tell you that this video was created and uploaded by Andrew Jones on YouTube and one of their team members narrates the step by step process in the video.