How to Fix Warped Wood From Water
A deformed wood is not uncommon especially when you are seeing lumber all around you. There are many reasons why a wood can warp. One of the biggest reasons is the moisture that is being absorbed and released by the wood.
The uneven absorption of the moisture is the main reason why wood tends to warp. This can also be caused by a number of different factors like the grain orientation, the species of the wood, air flow, uneven finish on the wood, and sunlight and temperature.
What you need:
- Moist towels
- Steam iron
Ways on how to fix warped wood
Using an iron
Image credit: CuttingBoard.com
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 1]
- How To Stop Sap Coming Out Of Wood
- How To Seal Wood Without Changing Color
- How to Make Cardboard Hard Like Wood
- How To Round Wood Edges Without Router
- How to Bend Wood Without Steam
- How to Transition Between Two Different Wood Floors
- How To Make Wood Drawers Slide Easier
- How To Stencil On Wood Without Bleeding
- How to Flatten a Workbench
- How To Make a Wood Table Top Smooth
- How To Age Wood With Baking Soda
- How to Whitewash Dark Wood Furniture
- How To Make Slime With Wood Glue
- How to Burn Wood with Electricity
- How To Apply Water Based Polyurethane To Wood Floors
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 1]
- If you will choose to do this method then you can start by wrapping the wood in relatively large moist towels. You need to see to it that the warped section is fully covered. Make sure that you will be choosing a towel that can withstand the temperatures of the iron.
- Soak the towels thoroughly as you take out the excess water. See to it that you will be using damp and not wet towels.
- You need to place the wood in a flat surface with the concave surface facing down.
- Set the iron to the highest setting. Allow it to heat up for 2-5 minutes. If you would want to do this method then a steam iron is much better.
- Press the iron the warped surface. You need to slide the iron on the surfer of the wood applying an even pressure. Hold the iron in each position for around 6-10 seconds.
You need to check the wood and see if the warping has stopped. Once it has stopped then you can now stop this process and let the wood dry before using it. You can opt for another need once this method will not be working.
Using the sunlight
Image credit: NZ Farm Forestry Association
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 2]
- How to Remove Nails From Wood
- How to Resharpen a Japanese Ryoba’s Rip Teeth
- How to Sharpen Woodworking Tools
- How to Whitewash Pine Wood
- How To Modge Podge Pictures To Wood
- How To Apply Shellac To Wood
- How To Take Apart A Wood Pallet
- How To Install A Wood Accent Wall
- How to Do String Art on Wood
- How to Remove a Stripped Screw from Wood
- How To Upgrade Wood Frame
- How to Get Nails Out of Wood
- How to Refinish a Wood Table
- How To Make Vinyl Letters Stick To Wood
- How To Measure A Cord Of Wood
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 2]
This method of fixing a warped wood also similar to the one that uses iron as this one also uses moist towels. You need to choose a towel that should be able to retain moisture.
- Soak the towel in water and squeeze the excess off.
- You need to place the wood in a flat deck. You can also choose to place it on your lawn. You need to see to it that the area to where you will be placing it will have a soft surface.
- Place it directly under the sunlight. You need to place the convex part facing up while the concave part of the wood should be placed facing down.
- If there is a need to add more water then spray the wood on the warped section.
- Keep the wood under the sun for around 2-4 days depending on the degree of warping that it has. You need to make sure that you will be constantly spraying the towels with water to keep it damp. The sunlight is the one that will encourage to absorb the moisture from the towel to the wood. During the night, place the wood in a warm room.
Image credit: keepsakestorage.info
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 3]
- How To Start A Fire With Wet Wood
- How To Stencil On Wood
- How to Finish Wood With Polyurethane
- How to Refinish Wood Dresser
- How To Age Wood Grey
- How To Apply Gold Leaf To Wood
- How To Apply Polyurethane To Wood
- How To Bend Wood With Water
- How to Burn Designs Into Wood
- How to Carve a Face In Wood
- How to Carve Wood By Hand
- How To Replace Wood Siding
- How To Split Wood With A Wedge
- How To Transfer Pictures To Wood
- How To Treat Pallet Wood For Indoor Use
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 3]
- How To Sand Wood
- How To Season Wood
- How To Spray Paint Wood
- How To Stack Wood
- How To Stain And Seal Wood
- How To Stain Wood
- How to Carve Wood
- How to Hand Plane Wood
- How to Paint Wood
- How to Cure Wood
- How to Petrify Wood
- How to Pickle Wood
- How to Preserve Wood
- How To Screw Into Wood
- How To Split Wood
- How to Find Wood Studs
- The first thing that you need to do when opting for this method is to moist a towel and cover the warped section of the wood. You can use paper to well in this method as it works better. You need to see to it though that you will choose a large one enough to cover the warped area. See to it that you will place the moist towels in the concave section of the wood to bring it back to normal.
- In order to make sure of the tightness of the towel then you can use plastic to wrap it securely. This will help in reducing the evaporation and keeps the wood moist at the same time.
- You then need to clamp the wood and make sure that you will over tighten it until you can see some straightening on the warp region. You need to be careful though as overdoing it might cause the wood to split.
After one week, you can remove the towel and the clamp from the wood. If the warping has been addressed then you can already use the wood after it has been dried. If there is still warping, place the wood in an area that is relatively cooler at around 25 degrees. Check the wood from time to time and area of the warping has been rectified.
Warping of wood has caused damage. This is in relation not just on the structure but also on the business side. Getting to know the various ways on how you can address wood warping though can help reduce these damages. They might need some elbow grease on your part but they will be worth it once you are able to correct the damage that warping has caused.