Table of Contents Hide
While you may have several pests that are present on furniture, wood mites are the most common. They dig tunnels through the furniture, creating their homes inside them. Though they are harmless, it is still a good idea to get rid of them as they transmit different diseases. So, if you are keen on learning how to get rid of wood mites, go through this guide and find out for yourself.
Before delving into that, you must first know a few things about wood mites, such as where they come from and how to identify them.
How to Identify Wood Mites?
As suggested, if you want to get rid of wood mites, you should get to know them better. Wood mites are arachnids and not insects, like spiders. At times, you may also call them ‘spider mites’ since they are eight-legged creatures. They are tiny and measure only about a 50th of an inch.
They leave a silk thread trail wherever they go, much like spiders, that helps you to identify them. However, they are harmless and do not cause as much damage as termites or other such pests.
You commonly find wood mites on furniture and other such things made of wood, including trees or plants. Besides furniture or wood items, you can also find them on cloth items, such as carpets, curtains, and linens.
Wood mites tend to shed their hair, which is a major cause of various diseases in plants, not to mention certain allergies in human beings.
So, it would do you good to get rid of them whenever you find wood mites lurking around in your furniture.
How to Get Rid of Wood Mites?
You can get rid of wood mites in several ways. Likewise, you also have various ways to prevent them from getting into the house or onto your furniture. In the following sections, you will find two such methods to get rid of wood mites.
Method 1: Sealing Off Wood
If you have some old furniture or other wooden items lying around in your house, infested with wood mites, then it might be time to rid the house of them. However, instead of getting rid of the whole furniture item, you can also seal them. To do this:
1. Heat the wood mite-infested with wood mites to 140 degrees. Note that although you can do this by yourself, it would be better to ask an expert, such as a lumber yard, for help. Also, if the wood has been embedded into a building, be cautious of the risks of fires, or try doing it in another way.
2. Once you heat the wood, let it cool for a while. Note that heating the wood item will kill all the bugs present in it, including wood mites. Then, using a scrub brush, make sure that you remove the silken threads. Also, don’t forget to remove the dead bugs in the process.
3. Next, sand the board with the help of sandpaper. Sanding the board will smoothen it.
4. To smoothen the board even further, you can use a liquidated insecticide on it. Spray the liquid on the board. Before you do this, read and understand all the instructions that you can find on the bottle. You could also use a powder-based spray instead of a liquid, although liquids may be more effective in this case.
5. After you spray the liquid insecticide, seal the wood with the help of a sealer so that you can prevent further infestations. Also, if the sealer used is of good quality, it will prevent the wooden board or furniture from being scratched, and help it look good as well.
So, follow these simple steps to remove wood mite-infested furniture or other such things made of wood and to prevent them from being infested in the future. However, never try this on wood embedded into the building or a wall as it could lead to a fire.
Method 2: Getting Rid of Wood Mites Naturally
Besides using pesticides to kill them, there are other natural ways of getting rid of wood mites, including the help of essential oils, boric acid, and diatomaceous earth. In the following sections, you will find out how to get rid of wood mites using natural methods.
How to Get Rid of Wood Mites Using Essential Oils?
Essential oils, such as tea tree, or Melaleuca, can help get rid of several pests, including wood mites. These oils are volatile compounds and function as effective insecticides. So, they help kill wood mites and other such insects. Besides killing the mites, these oils also act to kill their eggs.
Tea tree or Melaleuca are effective oils. However, you could also try using other essential oils, such as clove, eucalyptus, and rosemary oils.
To kill wood mites with the help of essential oils:
1. Mix a cup of tap water with one teaspoon of essential oil of your choice in a spray can.
2. Gently shake the can so that the liquids in it get mixed up well.
3. Then, spray the mixture on wood mite-infested surfaces, including floors, furniture, and even linen or cloth.
4. Make sure to repeat the process every once in few days so that you can get rid of wood mites and other such pests completely.
How to Get Rid of Wood Mites Using Apple Cider Vinegar?
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar works effectively against wood mites, killing them immediately after coming into contact. So, it is by far the best way to get rid of the pests. You can also make a homemade apple cider vinegar-based wood mite spray by mixing apple cider vinegar with borax. The solution is an effective insecticide alternative for killing wood mites.
You can do this by following these steps:
1. Fill a spray can with half a cup of apple cider vinegar, borax, and hot water, and shake it vigorously to form a mixture.
2. Then, spray this liquid mixture on all the infected areas.
3. Repeat the process once every one or two days to get rid of the mites completely.
Note that this spray is also effective against other pests, such as ants, as it is against wood mites.
How to Get Rid of Wood Mites Using Baking Soda?
While you cannot use baking soda for killing wood mites, you can still use it to trap and contain them and prevent their spread. Baking soda eliminates moisture in wood, which is a significant source for the growth of wood mites.
Also, when you sprinkle baking soda onto the affected area and leave it for about 15 minutes, it traps the wood mites. Then, remove the baking soda and the mites trapped in it with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
How to Use Predatory Mites to Kill Wood Mites?
Other predatory mites, such as Hypo aspis mites, feed on wood mites. So, you can also eliminate them with the help of these predator mites. The predatory mites die after a few days of feeding on wood mites. You can purchase Hypo aspis Mites at your local gardening store or even get them online.
Other Ways Kill Wood Mites
You have various other ways to get rid of wood mites, besides those mentioned above, some of which even prevent further infestations. For instance, you can dust and clean the entire house every day, and especially those places prone to infestation.
You can also use a vacuum cleaner to dust the entire house and all the furniture. However, make sure to do this at least once in three days. That way, you can ensure that you don’t have wood mites or other such pests, including termites, lurking around in your furniture.
Similarly, you could prevent a wood mite infestation by regularly washing all the clothes, especially bedsheets, in hot water. Wood mites and other such mites are more likely to reside on bedsheets and fabrics.
Likewise, you should also make sure to wash other household items, including curtains, blankets, and coverlets, to prevent wood mites from getting onto them. Wash them at least once every one or two weeks by heating water to 130-140 degrees.
Hot water kills wood mites and other such pests. So, make sure that you routinely wash all your clothes in hot water.
So, these are by far the best tried and tested ways to get rid of wood mites. When you get down to killing wood mites, make sure that you know how to identify them. Then, use any of the above methods, be it anti-wood mite sprays or any other such natural liquids, to kill them.
You could also seal off infested wood by heating it to 140 degrees. When you heat the wood to the said temperature, any wood mites or other bugs that reside on it will die. Let it cool for a while, and then, use sandpaper to polish the wood item so that you can reuse it.