How To Build An Industrial Shelving Unit | DIY Project
Are you willing to have a stylish, attractive and adorable shelving unit? Are you planning to get a classy shelving unit? The industrial shelving units occupy small space, and you can manage more stuff on them. Having such glossy shelving units, at your home will help you to arrange your shoes and boots. You may search them in the market, or plan to buy online. Wait. How interesting if you are going to build it by yourself? Confused? No need to worry, as our step to step tutorial is designed to guide you. By following it, you will able to create a cool and eye-catching shelving unit. All you need some basic knowledge of woodworking tools. This is quite simple as we all have used at least a screwdriver and woodcutter. We hope that creativity is always amazing, and once it is done, you would love it. We prefer a wheeled shelving unit, as mobility enhances the outlook and efficiency. So just follow our tutorial, as it guides you to construct a professional shelving unit, from wooden blocks. So are you ready to think and work like a professional carpenter? Let’s start it from the scratch.
You might think the whole task is a massive job. But believe it, constructing a shelve unit is not a difficult job. You will pay gratitude to this step by step tutorial, once you will make the shelving unit, by following on it. So let’s start.
Product dimension 48”11 x 25 ½”h x 11 ¼ “d
I think you visualized the whole unit, by length width estimation. It’s time to work and turn visualization into reality. So follow on.
You need the following material, to make industrial shelving unit, and to complete this project.
- Three 2”x12” x 4ft boards
- Eight 3/4” floor flanges
- Four 3/4” galvanized pipes (8”long)
- Four 3” steel caster Wheels
- 11/4” Screws
- Sanding blocks
I am pretty much sure that these things are known to you. You don’t need to search a lot. Just visit the nearest hardware store and, you can find all these items easily. If you wish to buy these items online, then you can go for that. But be aware, of the actual prices. Assure the best level and standards of these products. The better input will reinforce the shelving unit. We recommend you to focus on the best quality of wood boards. We beleive the boards are the backbone of the whole shelving unit. Be confident in your work, and collect all this stuff from a trusted seller.
Alternatives to Wood boards
- You have an alternative choice to use the big marble piece, but that is not so much suitable. It may increase the cost, and also the weight of shelve. So it is not a recommended option as compared to wood boards.
- You can also use Glass to make a shelving unit. Glass look pretty, but it is very sensitive. So we are going with the wood boards.
Select the best rotating wheels also, in order to ensure the smooth movement of your shelve. If you are ready and have mapped out all the things, I think it’s the best time to start step by step instruction. Be motivated, as you are going to create your best art of the time. Let’s hit it now!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Distress the boards
Just put the boards on the floor and start them to distress, I mean beat them. Make sure that you buy in equal sizes, density and quality. Feel yourself as fighting with them. Don’t beat them too hard, but a little bit. This will allow them to smooth, and plane the surface, if there are some nails. So, lay them out and beat them a bit. Make sure that you have beaten all the sides and corners. This may be a stress relieving task. Once you have done them, just tune your favorite music, to enjoy the project.
- Just assure that all are of equal size.
- Try to bring the boards of equal sizes.
- This will relieve you in extra effort for cutting.
Step 2: Sand them
Once, done with the wooden boards, you have to give them a refined and polished look. Just don’t worry, as you have all the things in your bag. Start to sand them and, here is a tip for you. The process of sanding should be in the direction of grains and not to the perpendicular direction. Once you have done with it, you found your new and polished wood boards. They look nice. Aren’t they? So you are going closer to make your own shelve unit. Till now, you have beaten the boards and sand them. There are lots of things to do, but we make them simple for you. Just keep on following our steps, while enjoying your song.
- Sand properly and flow in the direction of the grains.
- Don’t go perpendicular to grains.
- This will smoothen the surface.
Step 3: Slap some poly
You can enjoy the work by dance moves or tuning to some new song. Well, you have to move on. I think you have waited for the board to become dry. If not, then wait for a while. Otherwise, let’s start the next step. It’s time to slap the poly on the boards. Make sure that you have covered all the sides. The shine of boards will make you smile. Just remain excited, as every step is going good. You might be thinking it as easy, yes it is. Once you have done all the three steps, just move on to the next one.
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
- Poly the board well.
- This will increase the polished look.
- Use to paint in different directions and cover all the corners.
Step 4: Lay and Screw the pipes together
The poly needs some time to become dry. Till then, just move on to the next step. Lay all the piping like in the picture. You know the importance of these pipes. Start to screw the together. The head and the tails of pipes will be screwed up, so all look identical from each side. Once you are done, try some work out with that, till the poly gets dry. You have started from a piece, sand them, poly them, and now you are just going to make shelve. I know it’s an amazing experience.
- Try to tight the screw with full effort.
- Make sure that all the screws are properly tight.
- Check the power of the grip.
Step 5: Measure the distance and screw the pipes
- Now you are close. Place a board piece, right after you and put the pipe on it. This time, you need to measure and place the pipe right at the center, from all the sides. Once you have assured that the pipes are at the center, screw the pipes. Make sure, all the other pipes are screwed right at the center. This will give an extra strength to your shelve unit. Just keep in mind, and revise that you have:
Congrats, you have completed a new step. This time you are really just to touch your destiny. Just wait, as a couple of steps to go.
- Placed the screws 3” from the end
Step 6: Flip and attach the boards
Just flip the first board, and place the other board on it. Screw them and bind them together. This time, you must be sure about the distance and measurements. After attaching the two, just relax. Repeat the Step 5 again and prepare a new board, with the pipes. As you are going to make a three board shelf, so keep the third board on the two attached one. Screw that one also. We again focus to measure all the distance from the center. Well, we are just a single step away.
- Just make sure the strength of attachment.
- Flip the board and attach the other board on the first one
- Repeat the process with the surety of strength.
Step 7: Place the wheels at each corner
At the top board, place the wheels, one at each corner and, fix them with the screw. Ensure that they are properly fixed and attached to the board. So, this is just the finish line. Flip the top board, to the ground and let the wheels rotate. You have done an amazing task. Be proud on your skills. Decorate it to your favorite corner.
- Just bend the screw thread down, in order to attain a longevity in them.
- You must clean the whole unit once in a day, so to retain its outlook.
- You don’t need to put too much extra burden on it.
- You can use small rugs on the shelves. It enhances the look.
- Avoid the shelving unit from dampness and chemical substance.
- Clean and sand according to need.
- Check for any repair at periodic times.
- If you lack in the experience of woodwork, just start up with the smaller projects.
- A drilling or attaching two wood board pieces, may be good practice.
- Learn the work of wood, or get the assistance of your friend.
- Be sure, to use everything of good quality.
- Use some gloves and make sure your safety.
The tips are really helpful and you should thanks to the author ‘The rehab life’. Here is the video that is the reason to inspire us, and to write for you. We hope that we try our best to guide you. The video helps us to write step by step, tutorial to make the industrial shelving unit.
Personally, I have enjoyed a lot, while writing this guide. I am motivated that you came to know to make the industrial shelving unit. The feeling to guide anyone, step by step for a constructive project is really good. I am really feeling excited and I am pretty much sure, that all the readers are also excited and motivated. I value your feedback, and feel free to comment and share your experience. If you like it, you are free to share it over the internet. I am sure that you all will love this DIY tutorial. I hope to see you all again with some new interesting DIY projects. Till then, take care.
www.Amazon.com will be a useful platform to buy online material, that is required in the making of shelve.
A helpful guide to wood is available at http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques.
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/custom-shelving-done-4-ways will be a good additional source.