How To Build A Modern Wooden Drink Table For Indoors & Outdoors | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a modern table for indoor and outdoor usage? Great! It’s always good to have a table which you can use inside and outside of your home. But wait, are you going to buy it from the market? Really? Don’t you think that you it will cost you a lot of money and time? Why don’t you try making one at your home by yourself?
You see buying a multi- purpose modern drink table is not an easy thing, but making one will be a lot easier. Because, while buying one modern drink table for indoor and outdoor purposes you have to consider many things such as its design, color, size, shape and still after that you would not be sure that what material has been used by the seller.
So, you don’t need to worry about this as making one modern drink table is not difficult now. Ok! What if we teach you how to make one modern drink table? Sounds good? Then let’s try making one by following this step by step demonstration in which I will tell you how you can make one modern drink table indoor and outdoor and you will end up making one by yourself.
For this, you need to have an intermediate level of knowledge about operating woodcutter, miter saw, and abrasive discs.
Building a modern drink table is not difficult now! As we are here with the detailed step by step demonstration.
Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different size and width
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Screws (3 inches)
- Drill with driver bits
- Chisel rod
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Drill press
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
- Paint/polish (white and brown)
Step 1: Measure, Mark and Cut the Pieces
Cut four pieces for the bottom and five pieces for the top of the table
After cutting the lumber you would have following pieces of lumber with the sizes mentioned in the picture below.
Use table sander to balance the thickness of the lumber pieces you cut earlier and make sure that they are cutting proper shape.
Since the edge of the wood is round so use a table to create the straight edge and make sure that you will maintain some safe distance while running the table saw.
Take a clamp and use it as a straighter so that you can measure and cut the lumber as per required size and shape.
Do remember that this part would be used as a leg of a modern drink table.
Square the bottom of the table foot so that you will get to know where to mark the leg.
Since the leg was in the center of the foot so I marked the center point of the bottom then I marked the middle line from the two pieces of lumber on that point.
After marketing the center point, measure the sides of the bottom and make sure that both sides are equal.
Now trace out the leg on to the foot, like this:
Make sure that you traced it well and there is no flaw in it.
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw
- Hold the table firmly while cutting the lumber by using a hand saw
- Do important table saw safety measures
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Try to use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger
- Use a workbench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting.Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing
Step 2: Cutting and Joining Base and the Top
Use Band saw to cut the lumber from the marked point and the result would be like this.
Do a reality check by fixing it with the vertical side of the table.
Make the side holes in the lumber in order to join the two lumber pieces together.
Make sure that the distance between each cut is equal to other.
After cutting all the slabs glue them together to make the base of the modern drink table.
Remember do glue the both sides of the lumber for proper grip
Now put the two together and use clamp to hold the grip and let it dry.
- Measure well before cutting any timber
- Use scale measure in order to measure the height
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind
- Use a drafting square for more accuracy
- Use a drafting square scale as carpenter squares for better measurements
- While using a sharp blade miter saw hold it tightly as it can affect your angle so hold it with a firm grip
- Keeping the safety of the hands on priority, use wooden helping hammer for cutting the small wedges rather than doing it with the hands
- After fixing the lumber parts together let the glue dry
Step 3: Making Foot and Base of Table
Now move your focus over to the foot of the modern drink table.
Mark the lumber and cut it and in order to make the base of the modern drink table.
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Mark the joints cut it by using the base kit machine and repeat the same as you did for the legs of the table.
Use two 3 inch screws to and drill them so that they can sync within the lumber and don’t be visible from the outer side.
Now glue the lumber pieces and attach them to each other and make sure that you will glue the sides in a proper way so that lumber don’t leave unattached from any side with the other lumber.
Do use clamps to grip the glued part properly and let it get dry.
- Mark well before cutting any lumber
- Make sure that the points you marked are correct and before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of modern drink table and then fix the lower part of the table
- Fix three to four lumber pieces together to make the base of the modern drink table
- After fixing the lower part of the modern drink table, let the glue dry
Step 4: Making the Top Part of the Table
Now you can shift your focus to making a top of the modern drink table. So mark the lumber piece in order to cut it as per the measurement.
Use a drill press to cut the lumber piece from inside and drill the lumber about three quarters away down.
Keep on cutting it until you get the holes as per your measurement and then use chisel rod to clean up the sides, like this:
And if all goes well try to check while fixing it to the other half of the modern drink table.
If it is not fixing cut the base deeper and hammer it down to the line, like this:
Now mark the sets of lumber and make the holes like we did in the previous steps.
Now glue it and fix the lumber pieces together like we did even in the previous steps.
Use clamp again to hold the lumber while it is glued so that both the pieces would attach with each properly.
Now insert the screws half way inside the lumber so that it will hold and strengthen the two pieces of the modern drink table.
The last piece of 2x4 is not screwed it’s only glued, like this:
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Use chisel blade to equal the sides which cannot be equaled by drill press
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood
- Use pencil for and cleaner measurement
- Use drill press patiently and don’t make holes outside of your measurement points
- Fixing the base of the modern drink table with screws will give it a long lasting effect
- Do fix the screws properly inside the lumber and make sure that there isn’t any part of the screw is outside the table
- Use clamp for perfect circular measurement and support it with any wooden block for correct marking.
Step 5: Sander and Polishing and Finishing
Now it’s time to sander things smooth so that we can put the finish on it.
Tape on the back of the table will give strength to the table.
Now paint the table, it will look like this:
Once the paint dried takes that off and then stain the top corner of the base.
Now paint the top side of the modern drink table, like this:
Make sure that you will paint the base of the top as well and there is no space left.
Now use a rug to give it a design of polish, like this:
After done painting, it will look like this.
Let the paint dry properly and leave the paint to dry for 4 to 6 hours.
In order to give the modern drink table proper finishing apply a final coat of paint when the earlier one was dried, and it will look like this:
- Smoothen the sides of the modern drink table
- Rub the sides of the base with the machine rubber It will give good finished look
- Rub the sides and the base of the modern drink table to make it look more smooth
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of the modern drink table.For designing and giving it a finished look use a clean rug
- Wear gloves to ensure the safety of hands and mask to avoid any sort of allergy
- Do use tape to secure the top of the modern drink table
- Start painting it by keeping in mind the pattern you want to give to your modern drink table and make sure that it should look good and sequence should not get disturbed
- The longer you let the stain be on the table, the better color it gives
- Use a good quality polyurethane finish material for long lasting protection of your modern drink table
- For protection against water and chemicals, use clear finishes
- Use a good quality bleach or cleaner to remove stains from the lumber
- Do not place the modern drink table in direct contact with a fireplace.For drying purposes, try to place the modern drink table away from the reach of children and pets
- Do not kill the look of modern drink table by painting artificial colors on it
- If you feel like that there is a room for improvement is left don’t hesitate to do that
- Before ending up your project try to test the reliability of the product in any testing facility
Here is the link to the source of YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a modern drink table indoor-outdoor.
The video was created and uploaded by The DIY Creator. One of their team members narrates the step by step process in the video.