How To Make A Modern Wooden TV Sideboard | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a TV sideboard? Good thought! It’s always good to have a TV sideboard in your room on which you can place different things such as, books, magazines, show pieces and different media players. And are you going to buy it from the market? Do know what design you are going to get? Are you sure about the material used in that TV sideboard? To avoid these hassle why don’t you make one by your own self?
Well, I will suggest you make one by yourself instead of buying one from the market. It is very hard to find one of your choices because there are many types of TV sideboards are available in the market with different designs, Along with this, you have to consider other things as well like you room size, design, color and shape of TV sideboard.
Why don’t you try making one by yourself? Yes, you can make one by yourself as it’s very easy. All you have to do is to follow this step by step demonstration of designing and building a TV sideboard. Once you will be done following the steps you will end up making one TV sideboard.
For this, you need to have a professional level of knowledge about operating woodcutter, abrasive jigs, table saw, and hand saw.
Building a modern credenza is not difficult now! As we are here with the detailed step by step tutorial.
Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different size and width
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Jigsaw tool
- Drill with driver bits
- Chisel rod
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Drill press
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
- Paint/polish (white and brown)
You can easily find the above-mentioned material from your nearest hardware store. As the material is very generic in nature and also you can search online as well for good rates and can buy it from there. The only thing you have to make sure is the quality of the hardware products you are buying. If the quality of the products would be good your drink table would last long! So I would suggest you buy it from one of the trusted stores.
Step By Step Instructions
After buying all the necessary material required for this project you are ready to start the project of making a TV sideboard. Follow this step by step procedure to make an elegant and strong modern TV sideboard for your usage.
Step 1: Measure, Mark And Cut The Pieces
Cut the lumber boards from the sides and sander then while using table sander.
Now cut the lumber pieces with a table saw and make sure that your angle is perfectly fine.
Balance and sanded the sides of lumber piece, like this:
Now after cutting the lumber pieces measure and check the sides of the lumber by using inch tape.
- Measure well before cutting the lumber.
- Use a workbench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting.
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Use the lumber as per the size of the table saw and do use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger.
- Use table saw and table router carefully to ensure safety.
- Use gloves to prevent atopic dermatitis.
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood.
Step 2: Sander And Fixing The Lumber Together
After measuring cut the small pieces of the lumber and make sure that it is balanced and cutting properly.
Hold the sides with the help of wood piece to have a flawless cutting.
Now Sander the sides of small lumber pieces, like this:
After sanded the sides and cutting the lumber pieces now you would have different lumber pieces with you, like this:
Join two pieces of lumber together so that you can make one broad wooden board.
Use a hammer to have a balanced joint between the lumbers and make sure that the sides are balanced.
Use a clamp to hold the joining sides of the lumbers and leave it for a while.
Use wood measure tool to measure the sides of the lumber.
Now use a hand sander to balance the cunning sides of the lumber and make sure that it is well sander.
- Use small teeth blade on the table saw to achieve a much smoother edge.
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing.
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw.
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting.
- Use miter saw and try to cut as close as you can for better results.
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind.
- Use the glue properly and don’t leave any hole without filling the glue.
Step 3: Marking for Designing and Fixing
Mark the points with a pencil and make sure that the distance between the points is equally marked and measured before cutting the lumber.
Use scale measure to mark the lines and make sure that it should not move while marking.
Clamp those two lumber pieces which you marked earlier and start cutting the lumber from the above marked points.
Make sure that you are cutting it well and your marks on the lumber should look like this.
Handling the lumber with clamp helps you cutting the lumber from the marked points easily.
Make the cuts deeper by hammering the chisel rod on the corner points of the lumber you cut earlier.
Sander the holes with a chisel so that it will give it a finished look.
Cut the small side cuts with the machine cutter, like this:
Sander the sides with an electric sander and make sure it is sanded well.
Try to fix the designed portion of the lumber with the other one and make sure that it is fixing well on the other lumber.
You can use hammer for proper fixing as well
Hold the lower lumber with clamps so that it will move much and make sure you have fixed it well. As after fixing well it will look like this.
Use machine sander to balance the top side of the table and make sure that all parts are equally balanced.
Starting from the sides start cutting the wooden board, like this:
Take the small lumber pieces with the side holes and sander it by using hand sander.
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
It will balance all parts of the lumber and make is balance from all sides.
Now use wood glue to patch up the other part of the wood into the designed wooden part shown below.
Glue the other piece of lumber as well so that it will join well.
Now fix the sides with each other by using a hammer.
After fixing the sides of the two boards with each other leave it for a while to dry and hold them with clamps so that it will get join properly.
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood
- Use pencil for and cleaner measurement
- If you find any flaw fix them on the spot.
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of bench and chair and then fix the legs
- After fixing the base, let the glue dry
- Smoothen the sides of sideboard properly.
- Use sander properly and make sure that all the sides of each portion are balanced and equally trimmed.
- Measure the sides of the bottom frame properly and make sure that bottom of the sideboard is fixed well.
Step 4: Fixing The Board And Making Drawers
When it get dry remove clamps and try to fix the upper side of the board, like this:
While fixing the upper side hold the lower side of the box with clamps for a proper grip on the base.
After fixing the top side of the box clamp it in order to fix the lumber on the backside of the box.
In order to work on the base of the sideboard mark it chisel, like this:
After marking with a chisel cut the lumber from the marked points by using a table saw.
Make small cuts very closely to each other so that you can cut the whole portion very well in the end.
After cutting the lumber it will look like this.
Use a hammer to fix the thin lumber on the sides of the wooden board, like this:
Cut the flexible board as per the marked points.
Make different small pieces of it so that you can use it further.
Use glue by painting brush on the back side of the board, like this:
Now join the two sides of the boards together, like this:
Make sure that the sides of both the boards are equal.
Place the boards under the pressure machine and use pressure machine as a weight so that they get joined well with each other.
In order to cut the other lumber pieces measure it well before cutting, with the inch tape.
Cut the small lumber pieces with the table saw and use the wood piece as helping tool to cut the lumber well.
Count the lumber and if you need to cut more do cut more and try fixing the one side of the lumber to other for testing purposes.
Now cut the sides of the flexible board which joint earlier, so that the sides of the board will get balanced.
Use table saw to cut and balance the sides of the flexible board.
Try fixing the board on the frame, like this:
Sander the top side of the square board and make sure its sides are smooth enough.
Use hand sander for close and nice finishing.
Now sander the top of the long lumber piece and make sure that u sander every side of the lumber piece to make it look equal and properly finished.
Mark the lumber with the metal rod for designing purpose like you did earlier.
Take a metal piece which would join two lumber with each other and would be flexible and easy to open. If it’s not fixing do fix the width of metal piece by a hammer.
Now glue the metal piece and fix it inside the lumber. Make sure that it will get fixed well inside the lumber. Use a hammer to fix it inside properly.
Do fix the metal piece of the same size on the other corner as well.
Use hand cutter to cut the upper edge of the lumber and make sure that it will get mix with the surface of the sideboard.
- Use safety gloves to ensure safety.
- Use a hammer to fix the lumber and cut the lumber if any side is bigger than the required size.
- Before filling the glue in the holes try to fix the lumber on other side and if you find any flaw try to fix it.
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base.
- Use an electric sander to clean all the parts of the sideboard and make sure that you are not left with any side.
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood.
Step 5: Fixing The Drawers And Polishing
Fix the drawers on the sideboard and rub with the help of hand sander, like this:
Start polishing the sides of the sideboard and make sure that you will polish each and every spot and make sure that there isn’t any side left without it.
Polish the table board and drawers as well and do polish the drawers by getting the out so that you can get work properly done on it.
- Use safety mask before polishing the sideboard.
- Polish the base and cabinet properly.
- Use hand gloves while polishing the sideboard.
- Let the polish dry and don’t dry the sideboard under the sunlight.
- While the polish is drying, place the sideboard in some safe shed, away from children and pet animals.
- Before making the proper use of the sideboard do test it in some testing facility.
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for designing and building a sideboard.