How To Make a Set of Bench and Chairs | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a new set of bench and chairs? Great! It will give you a broad space to entertain family and friends with comfortable bench and chairs. However, buying wooden furniture is not the solution always, it will cost you more money than making one by yourself. Why don’t you make the set of bench and chairs yourself?
Buying it is never easy especially the one having chiseled design. It costs you time, money and effort and if still it doesn’t satisfied your need, your money will be wasted! So why to risk? Why not you build it by your own self? It will save your time and money also you will be satisfied with the efforts you will do to make it.
Therefore, you don’t need to worry about it as now you can make a set of bench and chairs by yourself. This step by step tutorial will show you how you can make a set of bench and chairs in most economical and time saving manner.
For this, you need to have an intermediate level of knowledge about operating woodcutter, miter saw or hand saw.
Building a bench and chairs is not difficult now! As we are here with the detailed step by step tutorial.
Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Following material will be required in this project.
- Lumber of different size and width
- Miter sawTable saw
- Pocket-hole jig
- Drill with driver bits
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Wood cutter
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
You can easily find the above mentioned material from your nearest hardware store. As the material is very generic in nature and also you can search online as well for good rates and can buy it from there. The only thing you have to make sure is the quality of the hardware products you are buying. If the quality of the products would be good bench and chairs would last long! So I would suggest you to buy it form one of the trusted store.
After buying all the necessary material required for this project you are ready to start the project of making a bench and chairs. Follow this step by step procedure to make an elegant and life lasting bench and chairs.
Step 1: Measure, Mark and Cut the Pieces
By using inch tape mark the sizes on the lumber with the pencil
Use a wood cutter to cut the lumber at marked positions
Make sure that timber is cutting in a proper manner. You should have two pieces or 6 foot long timber with you.
Make sure that the sides of the lumber is well grained and all four side of the lumber is trimmed well.
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw.
- Do important table saw safety measures
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Try to use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger.
- Use a work bench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting.
- Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety.
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood.
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge.
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing.
Step 2: Prepare the Base of the Bench
Glue two equal sized lumbers in order to make the base of the bench
Make sure that both the parts of the timber placed perfectly with each other and then glue it and leave until it get dry.
Step 3: Prepare the Legs of the Bench
In order make the legs of the bench, cut the lumber and align it in proper way so that the balance of the bench doesn’t get affected.
Cut the edges of the legs of the bench to give it a more presentable look and this will make it less harmful if anyone hits the edge of it.
Don’t forget that balance on the bottom feet of the leg should not get affected!
Along with this start making the legs of the chairs as well
Try to trim them in order to give them an elegant look and a great style which fix in the top of the timber.
Step 4: Prepare the Base of the Chair
Mark the timber again for the making the base of chairs.
Cut the timber with the same sizes so that base of each chair would be of same size.
Trim the base on the chair a bit vertically for the pocket hole jig so that it can get fixed in it!
Distance between each pocket hole jig should have to be equal and small pieces of wood is inserted in each timber hole so that legs of the chair can be fixed in without any hassle!
Step 5: Leg Angle Making
Trim the timber in such way which gives it a presentable look along with the long lasting effect.
After trimming and angle making it will look like this:
Step 6: Drill the Holes and Insert Wooden Pieces
Drill the holes properly to fix it with the base of the chair later on.
After fixing it will look like this:
Make the small cut in the legs of chair so that they can be fixed properly after inserting small wooden pieces in it!
For perfect results measure the height of the cuts through the measurement scale.
Mark another cut in a Dissecting position!
It will help you to fix the legs of the chair properly and it will get fixed with strong grip.
Take a small piece of timber and make wedges of it to support the angle and the timber.
Remember! The wedges should be of equal size and angle of each wedge should remain same as well!
- Using of sharp bladed miter saw can affect your angle so hold it with firm grip
- Measure well before cutting any timber
- Use scale measure in order to measure he height
- Install the blade on a hacksaw so the teeth face forward
- Laser projection help to measure and hit the point more accurately
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind
- If you are using tape measure make sure that the marks you made should be clear and exactly on the spot.
- Be careful with the angles before timing the lumber for the legs
- Small wedges helps to drill properly
- Use electronic drill for drilling the cleaner hole for the chairs.
- When you have to cut, shape, file, sand or finish something small, you can use hot glue gun as well.
- Angle of wedges should remain of equal size
- Keeping the safety of the hands on priority, use wooden helping hammer for cutting the small wedges rather than doing it with the hands
- Use of scissors lift table helps you cutting the base of the legs properly.
Step 7: Fixing the Legs of Bench and Chairs
To fix the legs, Use the glue on the back side of the bench and chair where you did holes earlier in a bit vertical angle!
To fix the legs more properly use hammer to fix it in a proper way so that wood adjust itself inside the base of a bench and chair!
After fixing it will look like this!
Step 8: Use Wedges for Strong Grip and Erase the Extra Part
Use wedges to in order to fix them in the gaps of the timber and to give it stronger grip!
Erase the extra popping out part of the wood by the timber cutter.
Make sure that each part is cut so closely that it will get mixed with the base of the bench or chair!
Now mark the base of the legs in such angle that its base would touch the ground and would not tremble!
After marking cut it with the help of hand saw!
- Try to cut extra wedges so that u will not have to put extra effort of cutting it again
- Before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws.
- If you find any flaw fix them
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of bench and chair and then fix the legs
- After fixing the legs, Let the glue dry
- Never rely on electronic tool all the time as hand cutter can give you best finishes as well
- Pre drill and countersinking helps to increase the life of the bench or chair
- Fix extra wedges on the base to make the grip of the legs more firm and stronger
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood
- Use pencil for and cleaner measurement
- Use clamp for perfect circular measurement and support it with the any wooden block for correct marking.
Step 9: Smoothing the Side and Designing
Use electronic grinder to smoothen the sides of bench and chairs!
It will prevent people from minor injuries and would give a finished look to the timber.
Before giving the final touch to the design mark and measure the base of the bench and chairs with the pencil and scale to align it properly! Try to give it a decent look with comfortable sitting experience.
After marking and measuring you can give it any pattern such as chiseled pattern etc. it will look like this:
- Hold the bench and chair firmly
- Use a drafting square for more accuracy
- Smoothen the sides of bench and chair
- Rub the sides of the base with the machine rubber It will give good finished look
- Rub the sides of the legs of the bench and chairs to make them smooth
- Use a drafting square scale as carpenter squares involve that nagging hassle of having to hook them onto the edge of your workpiece
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of bench and chairs
- For designing use pencil and scale for proper alignment
- Mark it by keeping in mind the pattern you want to give it to you bench or chair should be good and sequence should not get disturbed.
Step 10: Dying and Polishing
In order to give it more presentable look and to make its design more clear use good quality dye and rub it with rug or you can polish it as well of your desired color.
After dying/polishing and doing final touch ups it will look like this!
- Make sure that the you choose the design which is elegant and looks good on the base of the bench or chair
- Use water seal to extend the life of a bench or chair
- Choose the pattern carefully so that it would not be uncomfortable for a person to sit on it.
- Try working on it patiently as don’t tremble during cutting any timber.
- Use a dust mask or respirator to protect your eyes and skin while staining and finishing the table.
- The longer you let the stain be on the table, the better color it gives
- Use a good quality polyurethane finish material for long lasting protection of your coffee table
- For protection against water and chemicals, use clear finishes
- Use a good quality bleach or cleaner to remove stains from the wood
- Do not place the bench and chairs in direct contact with a fireplace
- For drying purposes, try to place the bench and chairs away from each other
- Do not kill the look of bench and chairs by painting artificial colors on it
- If you feel like that there is a room for improvement is left don’t hesitate to do that
- Before ending up your project try to test the reliability of the product in any testing facility.
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a bench and chairs.