How To Make a Small Table With Carving | DIY Project
Are you thinking to decorate your drawing room with a small table and carving? Why not! It’s a great idea. But wait, are you thinking to buy it from the market? Really? So it means that you want to spend some extra money on the product which you can build by yourself. Yes, you heard it right! You can build it by yourself.
Buying the product from the market gave you many hassles and while solving these you waste your time more than usual and it dropped down your motivation of making a purchase. So why do you try building it by your own self? Love making things? Let’s make one table with carving.
So you don’t need to worry about materials required and steps which you need to follow. In order to make this perfectly all you need to do is to follow this step by step tutorial and you will end up making a great small table with carving.
For this experiment, your expertise level should have to be good and you should know how to use an electronic woodcutter, handsaw, miter saw and hand cutting bar.
Let’s get started with the Material Required!
Items Needed for this Project
The following material will be required in this project.
- Lumber of different size and width
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Trim screws
- Trim screw drill machine
- Drill with driver bits
- Texturing rod
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic wood cutter
- Wooden glue
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
The material required for this table making can easily be found from the hardware store located nearest to you. You can buy it online as well but I will suggest you buy it in person. As sometimes while ordering online the sizes of wood cutter etc. got changed and it cause you trouble. The best way to go and shop physically so that you can grab all the important material needed for this project.
After collecting all the material required you are now ready to make that small table with carving for your home decoration. Just follow the below step by step procedure to make it easily.
Step 1: Shape Up The Legs of Table First
Shape the table legs first and give them some presentable look
Cut the sides of the table in a way that all four sides of the table will look same.
In order to give the legs of the table a proper circular shape fit it’s both ends firmly like this:
Fit it so tightly that it should not move while cutting the hand bar saw.
Now start cutting it in a round shape while it’s rotating
You can use that metal trimming bar for proper cutting of wood.
Give the legs of a table design like that:
Smoothen the corners of the legs with the sander like this:
- Do important table saw safety measures
- Use sander properly and make sure that all the sides of the legs are balanced and equally furnished.
- Grip the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw.Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Try to use a work bench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger.
- Use a workbench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting.
- Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety.
- Use gloves to prevent atopic dermatitis.
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood.
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge.
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing.
Step 2: Cut the Lumber for the Table Making
Take the square piece of the wood and mark it for a circular shape cutting.
Step 3: Make a Small Sample on Paper
Make a small sample of that small table with carving so that you can see either you are going in a right direction or not.
After cutting all the wood it will look like this:
Drill the places which you have marked earlier with the pencil in the table as it will help you to fix the legs of the table later on.
Sander the both sides of the table with an electric sander.
Trip the middle section of the table with the hand saw and cutter so that you can put a metal bar inside it!
Step 4: Fix the Metal Rod on the Back Side of Table
Trim the timber and make the space in order to fix the metal rod in the backside of the table.
Try to cut it with hand cutter so that lagging is not left. This will give balance and will make the table stronger.
Now cut the steel rod of the same size so that you can fix it inside the table on the place you made above!
Try to cut it properly so that you can fix it easily inside the table.
After fixing it will look like this;
Drill the holes for in the metal bar in order to fix it inside the table.
Don’t forget to put that liquid gel before drilling the metal bar. As it will cut the metal easily.
- Make a small sample prototype to match the direction of your project.
- Use electric drill machine to cut the timber for screw fixing.
- Using of the sharp bladed miter saw as it can affect your angle so hold it with a firm grip.
- Measure well before cutting any timber.
- Use sander on the top and bottom sides of the table.
- Make timber smooth before cutting the timber in order to fix metal rod.
- Use scale measure to get the right measurement.
- Install the metal rod on the space you have made on the back side of the table.
- Circular projected pencil measurement helps you to mark it properly.
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting.
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind.
- Be careful with the angles before timing the lumber for the legs
- Small wedges helps to drill properly
- Use an electronic drill for drilling the cleaner holes in the metal rod.
- If you are making any holes in metal rod use liquid thinner to have proper cut.
- When you have to cut, shape, file, sand or finish something small, you can use a hot glue gun as well.
- Angle of wedges should remain of equal size
- Use hand saw and try to cut as close as you can for better results.
- Use of scissors lift table helps you cutting the base of the legs properly.
Step 5: Balance the Sides of Table
Now, balance the sides of the table with hand sander
Make sure that it is balanced from all the sides as it will not look if it’s not balanced.
Now rub the sides of the table which is a very critical place as it would be dangerous, if not balanced!
Try to smoothen the every corner of the table so that it will not itch the person and would become safe for their clothes too!
Step 6: Make Sots to Fix the Legs of the Table
Trim the legs of the table with the electronic blade and make slots for the sides to fit in it like this:
Make sure that you have measured it well before cutting the wood. And make sure it is going to fix it easily.
Make four holes on the measured points of the table and try to smoothen them up with hand steel rod. Glue the sides of the holes of the table for a better grip for the legs of the table.
Remember it’s not the front side of the table and all the activity that you will perform will be on the inner side of the table.
Now insert the legs of the table which you made earlier.
Try to fix the legs properly and for a stronger grip of the legs let the glue dry properly.
For the safe side hit them with the hammer so that they can get fixed properly and would not move or came out of the table
Fix the small wood pieces on the upper side of the table where you can see lids of the wooden table legs are up.
Use the hammer to fix it properly on the table.
Seems like you are half way done with that! It is looking like this:
- Try to cut extra wedges so that u will not have to put extra effort of cutting it again
- Before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws.
- If you find any flaw fix them on the spot.
- Fill the glue in the holes of the base of bench and chair and then fix the legs
- After fixing the legs, Let the glue dry
- Never rely on electronic tool all the time as hand cutter can give you best finishes as well.
- Pre-drill and countersinking help to increase the life of the bench or chair.
- Fix extra wedges on the base to make the grip of the legs more firm and stronger
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood
- Use pencil for and cleaner measurement
Step 7: Measure the Base of the Legs for Cutting
In order to make its base balance, you need to cut it and before cutting it mark the spots with the pencil for a perfect cut.
Now cut this marked bottoms of the legs of the table with a handsaw and make sure that it is cutting right at the marked points.
Cut the leftover wooden pieces from the top of the table as well and try to cut is as near to the surface of the table as you can.
It will be mixed the surface of the table and it will not cause any problem.
Design the table by using a small woodcutter or wood finisher. Try to do it on all the sides of the table and follow a pattern to give it a more professional and decent look.
After this it will look like this:
Use a rug to get rid of small pieces of wood on it and rub it on the whole table very properly.
Hmmm seems like you are very near to the finishing let’s just give it few final touch ups!
Step 8: Polish the Legs and the Table
Polish the legs and all the sides of the table so that it will look better and clean.
Do it on the upper side of the table as well, like this
Fix the metal rod with the screws via by using screwdriver and make sure that they got fix properly!
Fixing metal rod will strengthen the table and it will not put all the pressure on the legs of the table.
Remember that you should fix the screws at some distance and make sure that each one of the screws is fixed firmly so that it will give the metal rod long lasting effect and when you put some heavy material on the table it will not break or went down.
- Use safety gloves to ensure safety.
- Start polishing from one end and complete the cycle.
- Use an arc square for more accurate marking.
- Smoothen the sides of table properly.
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of the table.
- Rub the sides of the base with the machine rubber
- It will give good finished look
- Rub the sides of the legs with the sander to make it smooth
- Use a screwdriver to fix the screws on the metal rod.
- For polishing the wood and for its good look don’t overlap on the pattern.
- Mark it by keeping in mind the pattern you want to give it to you bench or chair should be good and sequence should not get disturbed.
There you go, you have the final masterpiece which you have made and it will look like this:
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a Small Table with carving 2.0