What is Rubber Wood?
Have you ever thought about purchasing furniture made from rubber wood? There are some misconceptions about rubber wood and rubber wood furniture and people don’t understand that most of the things that they hear about this kind of wood are completely the opposite.
Rubber wood is a strong type of hardwood that has very little tendency to warp or crack plus is also eco-friendly. Home furniture made from rubber wood may be one of the best choices you have ever made.
Rubber wood qualities
Rubber wood is a species of wood used in the furniture industry. It has good features and is durable as well. Rubber wood is also called Parawood in Thailand and is named after the timber with scientific name Hevea brasiliensis.
Rubber wood is considered one of the stronger and more durable lumbers that are commonly used in manufacturing home furniture like desks, chairs, cabinets, bed boards and tables. Rubber wood has natural dense grains which are easily controlled in the kiln drying process.
Another good characteristic of rubber wood is that it rarely shrinks and therefore it is a stable construction material for homes, offices, and businesses. When it comes to maple, sap is produced and in rubber wood, latex is produced. Rubber wood is the source of raw material that makes latex used in the creation of rubber-based products.
In addition, possibly one of the most important features of rubber wood in today’s world is that it is ecologically “friendly” lumber. It is therefore ideal in the furniture industry. A rubber tree generally produces latex during its 26-30 years of existence. But after this point, latex yields become very low and usually planters kill old rubber trees to plant new ones.
Therefore, unlike other types of wood that are cut for the sole purpose of producing furniture, rubber wood is only used after it has spent its life producing latex. Therefore it is eco-friendly in the sense that it can still be used after it has been spent and when it dies.
Rubber wood’s properties like hardness, density, shrinkage, bending, and modulus of elasticity compare well with other types of hardwoods. Therefore, this makes rubber wood an ideal substitute but it is less expensive, more plentiful and no doubt, eco-friendly.
The many advantages of using parawood or rubber wood
- Rubber wood is considered durable, strong, tough and will stand the test of time. If rubber wood is well-cared for your furniture could last for decades.
- Rubber wood is low maintenance. This type of wood is very easy to take care of and is stain-resistant compared to other conventional types of wood.
- Rubber wood is soft to touch therefore it is comfortable to walk on when you’re tired. This is one of the reasons why this is a good building material for bedrooms, playrooms and living rooms.
- Rubber wood is resistant to burns. The fact that rubber is burn-resistant, especially when the source of heat is a lighted cigarette. This is also non-toxic and won’t release toxic fumes into the air especially when there is a fire.
- Rubber wood is a perfect shock absorber. Parawood is actually used in areas like gyms, playgrounds and play areas for its shock absorbing capacity. The surface of rubber wood provides good cushioning to prevent any injuries. For the elderly, parawood flooring can decrease the stress on the joints and reduces slips and falls.
The disadvantages of using parawood / rubber wood
- Despite its many good qualities, rubber wood is still more expensive compared to other hardwoods.
- You might slip on smooth, non-textured rubber wood tiles. These materials can be very slippery when water is accidentally spilled on them. This could be very dangerous especially for children and the elderly. Grease also works adversely on rubber wood floors, therefore, you should wipe grease as soon as possible.
- Staining is an issue. Most rubber flooring resists most staining chemicals; the surface of the wood can be discolored by other chemicals and products. Detergents and abrasive cleaning solutions should not be used on rubber wood flooring.
- Rubber wood floors offer a dull finish. Because of its rubber content, this has a naturally dull finish and most homeowners don’t like this at all.
Rubber wood has many outstanding qualities. It is durable, resilient and is eco-friendly. These qualities make it a good wood material for furniture and for home use. But it also has its negative characteristics. Therefore you must consider all these qualities beforehand as you select the ideal wood material that’s perfect for your needs.