How To Make A Wood Frame Mirror | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a wood frame mirror? Great! It will add more beauty in your room. It’s good to buy new products to save time but are you sure that you are going to get the mirror of your choice and as per the size of your room?
Well, buying a wood frame mirror is not a big deal but to buy the wood frame mirror which fits on the wall and is as per the size of your room is a challenge. It will waste your time and money and you have to put lots of efforts in finding the shop who sells the mirror as per your requirement.
Why don’t you make one by yourself? Yes, you can make one by your own self. Isn’t it a great? Now you will have the question in your mind that how you can make one by your own self. Well for this you don’t need to worry about as this step by step tutorial will show you how you can make a wood frame mirror as per your desired size and shape.
For this, you need to have an intermediate level of knowledge about operating woodcutter, table saw, hand saw and electric saw.
Building a wood frame mirror is not difficult now! As we are here with the detailed step by step tutorial.
Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different sizes
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Hand saw
- Pocket-hole jig
- Metal scale
- Hooks to hang mirror
- One frame size Mirror
- Drill with driver bits
- Round fleet pads
- Carpenter's square
- Light hammer for lumber
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Inch Tape
- Pencil for marking
After buying all the necessary material required for this project you are ready to start the project of making a wood frame mirror. Follow this step by step procedure to make an elegant and life lasting wood frame mirror as per the size of your room.
Step 1: Measure, Mark and Cut the Pieces
Cut four pieces of the lumber by using table saw
Make sure that the lumber is placed properly so that you can cut the pieces of equal size.
Now, balance the sides of the lumber that you cut before and make sure that all the sides are equally balanced.
After trimming the lumber pieces would look like this
- Use safety gloves while cutting the timber
- Using of sharp bladed miter saw can affect your angle so hold it with firm grip
- Measure well before cutting any timber
- In order to use the length, use scale meter.Install the blade on a hacksaw so the teeth face forward
- Laser projection help to measure and hit the point more accurately
- Use a wood piece to support the cutting
Step 2: Trimming and Measuring the Wood Sizes
Now you would have different pieces of the lumber with you just double check the smoothness of the sides of lumber with your hand and choose the best 4 out of it so that you can work on them further.
Balanced the sides of the lumber so that it will not look odd.
Measure the sides to see if they all are balanced or not. Also, it will show the width of the lumber that either it’s balanced or not!
Mark the lumber with the sharp edge blade in order to cut it as per the measurement.
- Trim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind
- If you are using tape measure make sure that the marks you made should be clear and exactly on the spot
- Be careful with the angles before timing the lumber for the legs
- Small wedges helps to drill properly
- Use an electronic drill for drilling the cleaner hole for the chairs
- When you have to cut, shape, file, sand or finish something small, you can use a hot glue gun as well
- Angle of wedges should remain of equal size
- Keeping the safety of the hands on priority, Use wooden helping hammer for cutting the small wedges rather than doing it with the hands
- Use of scissors lift table helps you cutting the base of the legs properly.
Step 3: Making the Holes on The Sides of Lumber
Make holes on the marked points by using the machine. Make sure that machine is pointed straight on the marked area and is cutting well.
Repeat the same thing on the other corner of the lumber too!
Make the cuts on the other lumber and cut it from inside to fix the other part, like this:
After cutting the lumber the corners would look like this:
You can fix the lumber by fixing it on the holes you made earlier
Smoothen the ends of the lumber which you cut earlier with the hand sander
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge
- Fix the mirror well so that it cannot go outside of the frame
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any wood.
Step 4: Fixing the Sides of Frame
In order to fix the sides of the mirror on the other side, insert a bit of glue in the holes for the proper grip of the lumber.
Fix the other side of the frame into the frame on which you have inserted the glue earlier.
Also repeat the same thing on the other side of the frame as well.
Smoothen the sides of the lumber again with the help of electric sander
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Repeat it on all four sides of the frame so that it will give the smoothness and a more finished look the usual.
- Use hammer to fix the sides properly
- Fix the flaws and don’t wait for the next day
- Use a sharp 2H pencil or a marker for proper marking on the wood
- Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety
- Try to cut some extra lumber so that in case of the wrong cut you can utilize that lumber instead of the previous one
- Try to cut extra wedges so that u will not have to put extra effort of cutting it again
- Before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws
- Fill the glue in the holes of the lumber and then fix all the sides of the frame
- After fixing the side of the frame, Let the glue dry
- Never rely on electronic tool all the time as hand cutter can give you best finishes as well
- In order to increase the life of the mirror use safety board on the backside of the mirror
- Use clamp for perfect circular measurement and support it with any wooden block for correct marking.
Step 5: Sharpen the Inner Sides and Cut Lumber Pieces for Frame
Sharpen the inner sides of the frame by hand saw and hammer.
Make sure that all four sides are perfectly sharpened and the mirror will get hold and will get fixed without any problem.
Cut few more pieces of the wood by using the table saw. As these pieces will be used to get fixed inside of the frame.
Make sure that the sizes of each lumber pieces are same.
Cut the extra parts of the small lumber pieces by using the table saw, like this:
Make sure that you are cutting it after getting its proper measurement
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of the frame
- For designing use pencil and scale for proper alignment
- Try to measure twice before cutting so that the chances of error became less
- Mark it by keeping in mind the pattern you want to give it to your frame should be good and sequence should not get disturbed.
Step 6: Gluing the Frame and Fixing Board on Backside
Fix these small strips of lumber inside of the mirror and glue them for long lasting effect. But before this make sure that the glue will Gel in very firmly
Make sure you do use the glue on all four sides of the frame.
Fix the small strips of the lumber on that glued part properly.
Use tape to maintain the hold of the strips on the frame at the right position.
Cut the board of the size of the mirror in order to fix it on the back side of the mirror.
Make sure that the size of the board is same and is as per the size of the mirror frame.
Use a hand sander to smoothen the sides of the mirror frame.
Mark the clip points with the sharp edge pointer.
Make holes on the point which you have marked earlier.
- Hold the timber firmly while cutting
- Use a drafting square for more accuracy
- Smoothen the sides of the frame and make sure there isn’t any side left
- Rub the sides of the base with the machine rubber It will give good finished look
- Rub the sides of the legs of the frame to make it more smooth
- Don’t use the hand sander more instead of that use electric sander as it will give you more proper finishing than that
- Make sure that all the sides of the mirror frame got fixed properly inside each other
Step 7: Polish and Giving Final Touch Ups
Use the wet rug on all the four sides of the frame to give it a better look.
Make sure that you have done it properly and all four sides are looking properly balanced in color.
Now fix the mirror on the frame from the backside.
Make sure that the mirror is got fixed properly and is not moving and have not any space left around the frame.
Hmm!! Seems like you are almost done with it!
Just fix the wooden board which you cut earlier on the back side of the mirror in order to make it more safer and it will prevent the mirror in case of any manhandling!
Now the last step is to fix the hooks on the marked holes which you did earlier.
Make sure that distance between each hook is fine otherwise mirror will not get fixed on the wall and will not look straight!
- Make sure that you choose the design which is elegant and looks good on the base of the mirror frame
- Use the sander to give the timber good finished look
- Choose the pattern carefully so that it would look more elegant
- Try working on it patiently as don’t tremble during cutting any timber
- Use a dust mask or respirator to protect your eyes and skin while staining and finishing the table
- The longer you let the stain be on the mirror frame, the better color it gives
- Use a good quality polyurethane finish material for long lasting protection of your frame
- For protection against water and chemicals, use clear finishes
- Use a good quality bleach or cleaner to remove stains from the wood
- Do not place the frame in direct contact with a fireplace
- For drying purposes, try to place the mirror frame away from your pets and other humans
- Do not do any artificial color or else it will lose its real essence
- If you feel like that there is a room for improvement is left don’t hesitate to do that
- Before ending up your project try to test the reliability of the product in any testing facility.
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a wood frame mirror 2.0.