Table of Contents Hide
- How to Identify Wood Mites
- How to Eliminate Wood Mites
- Natural Treatment Against Wood Mites
- Other Ways To Kill Wood Mites
While you may have several pests on furniture, wood mites are the most common. They dig tunnels through the furniture, creating their homes inside the wood. Though they are harmless, getting rid of them is still a good idea as they transmit different diseases.
So, if you are keen on learning how to get rid of wood mites, go through this guide and find out for yourself. Before delving into that, you must first know a few things about wood mites, such as where they come from and how to identify them.
How to Identify Wood Mites
Wood mites are like spiders. They came from the class of arachnids, so they are not like typical insects. At times, you may also call them ‘spider mites’ since they are eight-legged creatures. They are tiny and measure only about a 50th of an inch.
They leave a silk thread trail wherever they go, much like spiders, that helps you to identify them. These critters are harmless and do not cause as much damage as termites or other wood pests.
You can often find wood mites on furniture and other things made of wood, including trees or plants. Besides furniture or wood items, you can spot them on cloth, such as carpets, curtains, and linens.
Wood mites tend to shed their hair, which is a major cause of various diseases in plants and humans. They also bite and cause skin allergies. So, it would be good to eliminate them whenever you find wood mites lurking around in your furniture.
How to Eliminate Wood Mites
You can get rid of wood mites in several ways. Likewise, you can also follow various preventive measures to avoid an infestation in your house or furniture. In the following sections, you will find several methods to eliminate wood mites.
Sealing Off Wood
If you have some old furniture or other wooden items lying around in your house, infested with wood mites, then it might be time to have a proper treatment for them. However, instead of removing the whole furniture item, you can seal them.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to sealing off a wood:
- Heat the mite-infested wood to 140 degrees. Note that although you can do this yourself, asking an expert, such as a lumber yard, for help would be better. Also, if the wood has been embedded into a building, be cautious of the risks of fires.
- Once you heat the wood, let it cool for a while. Note that heating the wood item will kill all the bugs, including wood mites. Then, using a scrub brush, make sure that you remove the silken threads. Also, don’t forget to remove the dead bugs in the process.
- Next, sand the board with the help of sandpaper. Sanding the board will smoothen it.
- To smoothen the board further, you can use a liquidated insecticide. Spray the liquid on the board. Before you do this, read and understand all the instructions. You could also use a powder-based spray instead of a liquid, although liquids may be more effective.
- After you spray the liquid insecticide, seal the wood with the help of a sealer to prevent further infestations. Also, if the sealer is of good quality, it will prevent the wooden board or furniture from being scratched and help it look good.
So, follow these simple steps to treat mite-infested wooden furniture or structures and prevent re-infestation in the future. However, be cautious when trying this on wood embedded into the building or a wall, as it could lead to a fire.
Natural Treatment Against Wood Mites
Aside from using pesticides, there are other natural ways of eliminating wood mites. This can include the help of essential oils, boric acid, and diatomaceous earth. In the following sections, you will find out how to get rid of wood mites using natural treatment.
Eliminate Wood Mites Using Essential Oils
Essential oils, such as tea tree, peppermint, and eucalyptus, can help eliminate several pests, including wood mites. These oils are volatile compounds and function as effective insecticides. Besides killing the mites, these oils also act to kill their eggs.
Here’s a detailed guide to killing wood mites using essential oils:
- Mix a cup of tap water with one teaspoon of essential oil of your choice in a spray can.
- Gently shake the can, so the liquids get mixed up well.
- Then, spray the mixture on wood mite-infested surfaces, including floors, furniture, and even linen or cloth.
- Make sure to repeat the process every few days to eliminate wood mites and other pests completely.
Eliminate Wood Mites Using Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar works effectively against wood mites, killing them immediately after coming into contact. So, it is the best way to get rid of pests.
You can also make a homemade apple cider vinegar-based wood mite spray by mixing apple cider vinegar with borax. The solution is an effective insecticide alternative for killing wood mites. Follow these steps:
- Fill a spray can with a half cup of apple cider vinegar, borax, and hot water. Shake it vigorously to form a mixture.
- Then, spray this liquid mixture on all the infected areas.
- Repeat the process once every one or two days to completely eliminate the mites. This spray is also effective against other pests, such as ants, as it is against wood mites.
Eliminate Wood Mites Using Baking Soda
While you cannot use baking soda to kill wood mites, you can still trap and contain them and prevent their spread. Baking soda eliminates moisture in wood, which is a significant source for the growth of wood mites.
Just sprinkle the baking soda onto the affected area and leave it for about 15 minutes. It will trap the wood mites. After that, you can remove the baking soda and the trapped mites using a vacuum cleaner.
Using Predatory Mites to Kill Wood Mites
Other predatory species, such as Hypoaspis mites, feed on wood mites and can be a great help in eliminating wood mites. You do not have to worry about an infestation of these predatory mites because they die after a few days of consuming wood mites. You can purchase Hypoaspis Mites at your local gardening store or even get them online.
Other Ways To Kill Wood Mites
You have various other ways to get rid of wood mites, aside from those mentioned above, which can even prevent further infestations. For instance, you can dust and clean the entire house daily, especially in places prone to infestation.
You can also use a vacuum cleaner to dust the entire house and all the furniture. However, make sure to do this at least once in three days. That way, you can ensure that you don’t have wood mites or other such pests, including termites, lurking around in your woodwork.
Similarly, you could prevent a wood mite infestation by regularly washing all the clothes, especially bedsheets, in hot water. Wood mites and other pests are more likely to reside on bedsheets and fabrics.
Likewise, you should also wash other household items, including curtains, blankets, and coverlets, to prevent wood mites from getting onto them. Wash them at least once every one or two weeks with hot water to 130-140 degrees.
Hot water kills wood mites and other such pests. So, ensure you routinely wash all your clothes in hot water.
So, these are the best tried and tested ways to get rid of wood mites. When you kill wood mites, ensure you know how to identify them. Then, use any of the above methods, be it anti-wood mite sprays or other natural liquids, to kill them.
You can also learn more about the wood infestation, its causes, triggering factors, and treatment. This way, you can easily identify signs of infestation caused by several biological agents, such as wood-destroying insects and wood-decaying fungi.