How to Chop Wood
One of the best heat sources that you can have at home can come from a wood. And in order for you to do this on then, you will need to make sure that you are able to chop wood yourself. Once you will opt for this one then you can choose to do three methods. And if you are interested in chopping your own wood then read on this article as we will be teaching you the common ways for o to do it.
What you need:
- An Ax
- A maul
- Safety goggles
- Safety gloves
- A wedge
- Hydraulic splitter
Using an Ax or Maul
Image credit: smarthomekeeping.com
If you will choose to chop your very own wood then see to it that you will be considering safety at all times. In order to do this one, wear safety gears at all times. You need to don your gloves to protect your hands. You will also need some safety glasses to keep wood splinters from flying into your eyes.
Once you are ready with the safety gears then you now need to prepare your tools and get your wood as well. You can opt to get a tree from your property. You need to know though that once you will choose this one then it can get a little intense. This method is not recommended for individuals with no experience. If you are not able to do it right then untoward accidents might happen.
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 1]
If you already got your logs. Choose the one with the biggest stump. This will be your chopping base. You will be using the stump to stand the pieces of wood in order for you to cut them down to little pieces. You need to have a large round log.
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 1]
- How To Stop Sap Coming Out Of Wood
- How To Seal Wood Without Changing Color
- How to Make Cardboard Hard Like Wood
- How To Round Wood Edges Without Router
- How to Bend Wood Without Steam
- How to Transition Between Two Different Wood Floors
- How To Make Wood Drawers Slide Easier
- How To Stencil On Wood Without Bleeding
- How to Flatten a Workbench
- How To Make a Wood Table Top Smooth
- How To Age Wood With Baking Soda
- How to Whitewash Dark Wood Furniture
- How To Make Slime With Wood Glue
- How to Burn Wood with Electricity
- How To Apply Water Based Polyurethane To Wood Floors
Stand it up on the wooden base.
Use your ax or maul to cut the piece of wood in half.
Once you have already chopped the wood in half, remove the one half of the wood from your wooden base. Stand the half of the wood that is left and swing your ax or maul into it. This will help you turn your half into a quarter.
Using a maul and wedge
Image credit: chainsawjournal.com
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 2]
Another method that you can choose to use in order to chop wood is through a maul and wedge. Like any other methods of chopping wood, you still need to use safety gears here. See to it that you will also have your tools ready. Having a wooden base is also needed in this method.
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 2]
- How to Remove Nails From Wood
- How to Resharpen a Japanese Ryoba’s Rip Teeth
- How to Sharpen Woodworking Tools
- How to Whitewash Pine Wood
- How To Modge Podge Pictures To Wood
- How To Apply Shellac To Wood
- How To Take Apart A Wood Pallet
- How To Install A Wood Accent Wall
- How to Do String Art on Wood
- How to Remove a Stripped Screw from Wood
- How To Upgrade Wood Frame
- How to Get Nails Out of Wood
- How to Refinish a Wood Table
- How To Make Vinyl Letters Stick To Wood
- How To Measure A Cord Of Wood
With the base that you have set the log into place and break it into manageable sizes. You need to make sure that you will be cutting the wood in pieces where you are able to use it directly in your fireplace or wood stove.
If you are using a wedge, see if there are any natural cracks in the wood. The natural cracks will act as your place for your wedge. Use an ax or maul to strike the wedge. This will cut the wood into little pieces easier.
Divide the wood first in half and then divide it over and over again until you will have a wood that you can directly use. You can chop the wood in sizes that you think will be the most useful.
Using a hydraulic wood splitter
Image credit: wikihow.com
Read More: How To's, Techniques and Tips [List 3]
- How To Start A Fire With Wet Wood
- How To Stencil On Wood
- How to Finish Wood With Polyurethane
- How to Refinish Wood Dresser
- How To Age Wood Grey
- How To Apply Gold Leaf To Wood
- How To Apply Polyurethane To Wood
- How To Bend Wood With Water
- How to Burn Designs Into Wood
- How to Carve a Face In Wood
- How to Carve Wood By Hand
- How To Replace Wood Siding
- How To Split Wood With A Wedge
- How To Transfer Pictures To Wood
- How To Treat Pallet Wood For Indoor Use
Read More: How To's & Woodworking Techniques [List 3]
- How To Sand Wood
- How To Season Wood
- How To Spray Paint Wood
- How To Stack Wood
- How To Stain And Seal Wood
- How To Stain Wood
- How to Carve Wood
- How to Hand Plane Wood
- How to Paint Wood
- How to Cure Wood
- How to Petrify Wood
- How to Pickle Wood
- How to Preserve Wood
- How To Screw Into Wood
- How To Split Wood
- How to Find Wood Studs
Start this process by breaking the log into pieces that are easier to carry. You can use a chainsaw to make the process easier. If you don’t have any idea using a chainsaw teen make sure that you will be seeking help. Never try it on your own.
Once you have smaller portions of the logs, you now can place them inside the splitter.
Once the log is in place, you will need to run the splitter on. Pull the lever that will activate the hydraulic splitter. This will be pushing the wood forward into the blade and splits the wood.
Chopping wood might need some elbow grease depending on what method you want to use. If you don’t have any idea especially when using power tools, always ask for guidance. This will avid frustration and also accidents. Having the experience and knowledge for chopping wood is a skill that you can carry with you and can be very useful.