How To Use A Wood Router For Beginners
A wood router is considered a versatile piece of woodworking equipment in a workshop. It is a powerful tool or a cutter that spins a bit, at a very high speed with the many different types of bits purchased for a wood router. The woodwork jobs are made easier to complete.
The use of a wood router takes a bit of practice but not difficult. For safe and successful use, we will help you increase your knowledge and enhance your skills on how to use a wood router for beginners.
Let’s find more information about wood routers today!
What You’ll Need to Follow This Tutorial
The important things you need for this project includes a wood router. Choose the right bit for your task including the straight cutting dado bit, cove bit, rabbeting bit, ogee bit, and round-over bit. Wear a safety gear to protect your eyes like safety goggles.
Step-by-step Guide to Using a Wood Router for Beginners
Properly install a router bit. If a wood router bit isn’t properly installed, it’ll vibrate leading to a rough finish that can be very dangerous. The bit should be sharp and clean.
When the bit is installed into the collet, the shank (about ¾) is placed inside the collet and ensure that the router bit is tightened securely before using a wood router.
Read More: How To's on Woodworking Tools [List 1]
- How to Use Saw Horses Safely
- How to Use the Honing Guide Board the Right Way
- How to Use Levels for Woodworking
- What is a Rip Fence and How to Use It
- This Is How You Use A Bench Grinder – Tips For Woodworkers
- How to Use a Claw Hammer the Right Way
- How to Properly Use a Miter Gauge
- Master the Jointer – How to Use Guide
- How to Operate a Power Drill for Beginners
- Understanding Workbenches for Woodworking - How to Use Them
- How to Use Calipers the Right Way
- How to Properly Use a Surface Planer
- How to Use a Sliding Bevel
- Tips on How to Use a Tape Measure and Other Measuring Device for Woodworking
- How to Use a Compound Miter Saw – The Basics
- How to Use Metal Detectors for Embedded Nails
Image Source: https://contractorculture.com/how-to-use-a-wood-router/
Avoiding splintering wood when using a router with woods such as oak with a strong grain, so be careful handling it. The bit should be in good condition and it’s sharp, cutting it with the grain not against it.
Image Source: http://betterhousekeeper.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/wood-router-safety-tips-working-with-wood-kitchen-cabients.jpeg
A common mistake that wood router first-timers make is advancing the wood router in the wrong direction along the wood. Moving the router in the opposite direction in rotating motion achieves the best results, done from left to right. By doing so, you’ll find a better control of the router without running away from you.
Image Source: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdJhwLsGPxntE7tW2OXfvPcDhN3rxkb07leSCOb_unUb8iIRDdCg
MUST SEE: Make 16,000 Projects With Step By Step Plans
Ted's Woodworking Plans contains complete instructions from start to finish, leaving absolutely no guesswork. Here is what you get:
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cutting & Materials List
- Detailed Schematics
- Views From All Angles
- Suitable For Beginners & Professionals
Read More: How To's on Woodworking Tools [List 2]
- How to Use a Feather Board with Woodworking Tools
- How to Use a Drill Press For Woodworking
- How to Use a Shop-Vac in your Woodworking Shop
- How to Use a Layout Square
- Learn How to Use a Hand Saw Correctly
- Everything you Need to Know About Band Saws – How to Use One
- How to Use a Sabre Saw
- Screwdriver Basics – How to Use a Screwdriver Correctly in Woodworking
- How to Use a Block Plane for Beginners
- How to Use a Circular Saw – Tips and Techniques
- How to Use Clamps for Woodworking
- The Ultimate Guide to Moisture Meter and How You Use Them for Woodworking
- Why Do You Need A Tool Storage System – How To Use It Properly
- How to Use a Router – Beginning Woodworking
- How to Use Hand Planes
- How To Use a Dremel to Carve Wood
When you’re using a wood router there are safety precautions you need to bear in mind when you’ll use a wood router. You’ll need an appropriate safety gear including protective glasses for eye protection against flying debris as well as ear defenders for ear protection against the noise. The bit should be secured firmly into the collet with the appropriate speed.
Image Source: http://cms.homedeal.vn/images/image/M%C3%A1y%20phay%20Ozito%20850W/3x.jpg
Tips and Tricks When Using a Wood Router
A fixed base router is set on the depth of the cut before using the router. This type of router stays fixed. On the other hand, a plunge router allows cut depth adjustment while you’re using the router.
This can be useful if you prefer to begin from the middle of a wood piece, or if you want to gradually increase the cut’s depth. Plunge routers have the option in fixing the depth to get the best benefits of a wood router.
A straight cutting dado bit makes a square channel located in the middle of a wood piece. An ogee bit is also referred to as a Roman Ogee, used in cutting an ornate S-shaped profile on the edge of a stock.
Read More: How To's on Woodworking Tools [List 3]
- How to Use a Wood Chisel
- How to Use a Random Orbital Sander
- How to Use a Belt Sander
- How to Use a Palm Sander
- How to Use a Table Saw
- How to Use a Wood Chisel
- How To Use Chalk Paint On Wood
- How To Use Wood Filler
- How to Use Wood Stain
- How To Use A Wood Burning Tool
- How To Use A Wood Router For Beginners
- How To Use Wood Putty
- How To Use Bondo Body Filler On Wood
- Woodworking Tips – Utility Knife Care and Use
- Woodworking Tips For Using Radial Arm Saw
- Woodworking Jigs – Techniques for Woodworkers
On the other hand, a rabbeting bit is used in cutting a square dado profile and a round over bit cuts a rounded profile into the piece of wood square edge.
Always read the instructional manual of the wood router you newly purchased to get an idea of how it works. Take note of the safety precautions and maintenance tips for the best results.
Also, check for the device and parts warranty. Product reviews online can help you so you can choose the right brand for your woodwork project. There are many brands of wood router available at Amazon.com that are top caliber.
A wood router is a helpful power tool used to route an area in a hard material like a plastic or wood. Routers are used in woodworking most especially cabinetry. The original form of the router is a hand tool type.
Do you find this helpful guide helpful? Share and like this post and leave a comment to share your ideas, thoughts, opinions, or to simply post a question.