Table of Contents Hide
Waste disposal awareness has been on the rise and people are much more cognizant of the damage that can be done by our waste. Not only that many are starting composting pits in their own backyard and reducing the load of organic waste management. This is a very welcome step but sometimes they run into challenges.
The color-coded bins will only help you to a certain point, but the answer to “How to dispose of wood with nails” still remains tricky. But fear not we are here, we will tell you how to dispose of wood with nails in the most efficient way.
Before we even start to begin the issue of wood with nails, you must understand that there are a number of ways to deal with wood. It is mostly dependent on what types of wood one is dealing with and what was its source of origin. Sawdust and old furniture are disposed of very differently as compared to the wood that might have been used in lumber.
- While most of the types of wood can be recycled or reused in some way, some of them can’t be. For example, any tree bigger than a Birch has a very long half-life. It will take a lot of time to decompose and will also occupy a lot of space.
- Wood can be recycled into a myriad of things before you need to dispose of it. You can use your fence and make something like a small stool with reclaimed wood.
- Not only is it much safer for the environment but you also get the best use out of the wood.
Wood with nails
You can find these at construction sites or can be part of large furniture too. Wood with nails needs to be handled with care as even a nick from the nails can harm you.
- It is the easiest option to dispose of wood with nails.
- Many people just drop them off at landfills where they are crushed and buried.
- This is the most hassle-free way to get rid of wood with nails.
But it is bad for the environment and usually not very cost-effective. There is no scope for reuse or conservation either. Whatever goes into the landfill will remain there until it decomposes on its own.
Landfills with a lot of waste are harmful to the environment. Many times the paints and other waste materials release toxic chemicals into the soil. They later seep into the groundwater and pollute it too. Not only that, sometimes they release greenhouse gases that damage the ozone layer of the Earth.
If you want a cost-effective and environmentally conscious answer to “How to dispose of wood with nails” then landfills are sure to be avoided.
Wood processing Facilities
These are places where you can take the wood, and they will have the right tools to either dispose of it completely or repurpose it to make something else. Even if you have wood with nails they have the right things to make these woods less of a hazard. Their specialized tools help them remove the nails easily which cannot be done at home.
- In most cases, they use strong magnets to remove the nail while minimizing the risk of injury.
- If you try removing the nails at home it can be a tough job that can easily injure you too.
- The wood now can be used for other purposes too.
If the wood is in good condition after the nail removal there is a chance that the facility might even charge you for it. This is because they can reclaim the wood and make something off of it themselves.
- But if there are a number of nails in the woods then there is a chance that they might ask you for a processing fee.
- The fees will be there to dispose of the wood primarily as nail riddled wood will do them no good.
- The wood will be too damaged to use for anything else.
Also, there are facilities that might refuse to take your wood in if there are too many nails in it. Sometimes nails cannot be removed from the wood and it can cause harm to the processing machines.
If such is the case try and remove as many nails as you can and if they still refuse go to another wood processing facility. These are a great answer to your question – “how to dispose of wood with nails”.
How to remove nails from wood
If you are in the unlikely scenario that you need to remove the nails then here is how you can remove them. It is not a very hard task, you might need some things to do it.
- They are specialized magnets that are used for removing nails and other metal objects from hard surfaces like wood
- You can buy them at your local hardware store and cater to this very specific problem
- Not only that, they are very easy to use too
- You do not need tool management skills or experience to use them
- They are great for not only removing the nails from wood but also works to remove metallic residue from other stuff
- These are specialized hammers that have a claw-like apparatus at the back of the hammer. You can easily remove any kind of nail with these and all you need is the nailhead to remove it.
- If the nailhead is exposed enough you can take it out with a Claw Hammer.
- If the nail is in too deep, you can use the end of the claw hammer and get it out until the head is exposed enough.
- Sometimes the nailhead might have broken off and now you are left with just the long nail
- In these cases, a clawhammer will be useless
- But this is where pliers come in
- You can always pull the nail sideways and pull it out with pliers
We hope this answers your question “How to dispose of wood with nails”, for more articles like this be sure to check out our website.