How To Make Wood Bending Chairs | DIY Project
Are you thinking to buy a wood bending chairs for your home? Nice, as it is easy to carry and you can sit anywhere you want! Doesn’t matter if it’s a garden, balcony, drawing room, or guest room you can take it along with you and sit there without any hesitation. However, buying a set of wood bending chairs will cost you much more money than to make one! Why don’t you try making one by yourself?
To buy a set of wood bending chairs is not an easy task. As you are not sure that the chair of which color and size would you buy. Also the design matter to you as well, and you feel uncomfortable with the funky designed chairs and sometimes you find some chairs not fitting in your drawing or guest’s room. Satisfaction plays an important role as well and sometimes you don’t feel satisfied with the material used. So, why to take such tensions? What If we will teach you how to make one chair by your own self? Save money and time and Build one for your own self.
Therefore, you don’t need to take any tension regarding the of the chair as this step by step demonstration will help you making one by your own self in cost-effective and time-saving manner.
For this, you need to have a very good knowledge about operating woodcutter, miter saw, table saw and hand saw.
So don’t worry as we share with this step by step demonstration let’s do it together!
What are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Items Needed for this Project
Here is the list of materials and tools you will need to complete this DIY woodworking project.
- Lumber of different sizes
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Hand saw
- Machine sander
- Pocket-hole jig
- Drill with driver bits
- Round fleet pads
- Random-orbit sander with abrasive discs
- Carpenter's square
- Electronic Drill Machine
- Wooden glue
- Inch Tape
- Finishing Oil wax
- Pencil/Pen for marking
You can easily find the above-mentioned material from your nearest hardware store. Few things of the material are a bit hard to find but you can ask your shopkeeper to arrange it for you and he will arrange it as it is not that difficult to find. Just make sure that the material you are buying is from the reliable shop and make sure all the things are with you before starting the project.
Step by step instructions
After buying all the necessary material required for this project you are ready to start the project of making wood bending chairs. Follow this step by step procedure to make an elegant and life lasting wood bending chairs.
Step 1: Cutting and Soaking the Lumber Pieces
Take the normal sized lumber pieces and furnish their sides
Make sure that all the four sides of lumber are well furnished and plain.
Now soak the lumber pieces for one to two days
Now paste the aluminum foil on all four sides of the timber
Use Electric Iron to paste and make sure that all four sides are equally pasted and are properly intact with the lumber.
- Use iron properly on the aluminum foil
- Make sure you will not burn the aluminum foil while ironing it
- Make sure that foil pasted with the wood properly
- Soak the wood for a day or two before pasting aluminum foil on it
- Do important table saw safety measures
- Use straight measure tape instead of worn tape
- Hold the lumber firmly while cutting it via table saw
- Do use a workbench so that the lumber doesn’t move and the grip on the lumber become stronger
- Use a work bench to secure the lumber so that it doesn’t move while cutting
- Use the drill machine carefully to ensure safety
- Use pen or pencil for proper marking on the wood
- Use small teeth blade to achieve a much smoother edge
- Try to cut every wooden part patiently for better finishing.
Step 2: Bending and Trimming the Legs
Now bend the lumber covered with aluminum foil with the help of steel edges and a U-Shape wooden board to give it a shape.
Now you will find it in a U shape and fix it with a metal bar to support it, like this:
Trim the lumber in order to make the legs of the chairs
Use scriber for sharp cutting and smooth lining.
After sharpening the legs it will look like this:
Now sharp the smaller legs of the chairs and shape them as per your choice:
Trim the sides of broad lumber pieces so that all the sides will look equally balanced.
Place all the wooden pieces together in one table and check the smoothness and finishing by hand.
Also, make sure that each one looks balanced and place them in order.
Make the side holes in the wooden pieces by using a jigsaw and make sure that the distance between the holes is same.
Use glue on the sides with the holes, so that one piece can get paired with other.
- Glue the sides of the timber properly
- Make sure that there isn’t any space left without any glue
- Use wedges to hold the timber, while working on it.Measure well before cutting any timber
- Use straight metal scale measure in order to measure the height
- Small wedges helps to drill properly
- Use an electronic drill for drilling the cleaner hole for the chairs
- When you have to cut, shape, file, sand or finish something small, you can use a hot glue gun as well
- Angle of wedges should remain of equal size
- Keeping the safety of the hands on priority, Use wooden helping hammer for cutting the small wedges rather than doing it with the hands
- Install the blade on a hacksaw so the teeth face forward
- Laser projection help to measure and hit the point more accurately
- Use a wood piece to support the cuttingTrim the wood well and don’t leave any lag behind
- If you are using tape measure make sure that the marks you made should be clear and exactly on the spot.
Step 3: Marking and Cutting the Lumber for Seats
Now place the timber with glue to the other in order to join it with one another.
Check the balance on both the pieces with the metal balance checker, like this
Make sure that you will check the balance of each side of the lumber and leave it until both lumber got firmly intact with each other.
Cut the extra sides of that U-shaped wood, like this:
Now balanced the sides of that U-shaped lumber too.
Sander the sides of that U-shaped lumber so that it will get more smoother.
Mark the lumber as per the shape of the chair seat and use pen for more visible marking.
Use the straight scale for the correct marking and make sure that it is done properly.
Now cut the wood as on the marking points. Make sure that you would cut it carefully
Make the holes on the top of the seats of the chair by using hole saw.
Make two to four hole as per your requirement on the seat of the chairs.
After making holes it will look like this:
If required, trim the sides of that U-shaped lumber more. Just make sure that the cutting was done properly.
Rub the top and bottom of the chairs with the electric sander and make sure that you will work on all the sides of the lumber.
Rub the top corners of the seat with hand sander for proper finishing. And make sure that the sides are plain and are not itchy.
Now rub the sides of that U-shaped lumber like this:
Now make cuts on the legs of the chairs like this
Do the same on the other legs of the chairs as well.
- Try to cut extra wedges so that you will not have to put extra effort of cutting it again
- Before filling the glue in the holes for testing purposes try to fix it to see the flaws
- If you find any flaw fix themFill the glue in the holes of the base of chairs and then fix the legs
- After fixing the legs, hit them with the hammer while focusing on the angle of the legs
- Don’t rely on electronic tool all the time as hand cutter can give you best finishes as well
- Fix extra wedges on the base to make the grip of the legs more firm and stronger
- Use hand cutter to cut the extra parts of the base and try to give it some presentable shape
- Hold tightly the hand cutter before cutting any woodUse pen for and cleaner measurement
Step 4: Fixing Legs and Seats of the Chairs
Do holes on the legs of the chairs so that the smaller sides of the legs got fixed in it. After fixing, measure with scale for proper fixing.
Glue the holes of the chairs so that you can fix the legs in it.
Fix the legs on the back side of the seats and don’t fix them properly make sure about the angle and try to fix them bit by bit.
Along with this try to fix the small side legs of the chair as well and so that they all get fixed at the same time.
Keep on hitting it with the hammer and keep on checking the angle of the legs after hitting few of the hits. It will help you to make sure that the angle will remain equally fine.
Now put some glue then insert the small wooden jigs on the seat of the chairs and fit it in the holes of the chairs by using a hammer.
Check the balance of the bottom of the legs and mark if the balance is out.
Now cut the non-required lumber by using handsaw and make sure that all four sides are equally balanced and are in proper shape.
Rub and balance the jig spots and make sure that they got sander that close that it will get mixed with the surface of the seat.
- Cut the extra pointed parts from the base of the chairs
- Make sure that the base of the legs is proper
- Rub the sides of the legs of the chairs to make them smooth
- Use a drafting square scale as carpenter squares involve that nagging hassle of having to hook them onto the edge of your work-piece
- Don’t forget to smoothen all the sides of chairs
- For designing use pencil and scale for proper alignment
- Use safety gloves while cutting the lumber and have a firm grip on it.
Step 5: Fixing the Back Support Lumber and Sander
Place the back supporting tails of the chairs and fix them properly while using the hammer.
Now fix that U shaped on the top of that supportive tails and fix it properly with the hammer.
- Fix the back side of the chairs properly
- Don’t lose focus while cutting the extra arising weeds on the base of the seat
- While cutting the lumber make sure that you use sharp woodcutter
- Use a dust mask or respirator to protect your eyes and skin while staining and finishing the table.
Step 6: Dusting and Finishing
Get the dust out of the sides of the seat backside and use sander duster for this
You can check the smoothness after rubbing the hand on the chair after using the sander.
Polish the chairs by using finishing oil wax, like this:
Just make sure that you polished all the sides of the chairs and there isn’t any corner left in that.
- Use a good quality bleach or cleaner to remove stains from the wood
- Do not place the chairs in direct contact with a fireplace
- Try to place the chairs away from each other
- Do not kill the look of the chairs by painting artificial colors on it
- If you feel like that there is a room for improvement is left don’t hesitate to do that
- Do safety before cutting the lumber and while painting does use masks for your personal safety.
Here is the link to the source YouTube video that inspired and helped us to write this wonderful step by step tutorial for making a wood bending chairs 2.0